Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Buying some newts today!

uf

Reaction score
My firebelly newts are comming in today. I plan on getting a ten or twenty gallon tank for about 4 to 5 newts. I dont know what to put in it haha, it will be fun... i am taking ideas!!! thanks

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It´s a bit late now...but you should know anyway that the tank needs to be cycled for the well-being of the newts. The process usually takes a month or so, so it would have been a very good idea if you had set-up the tank and cycled it in advance of getting the newts. Since that´s now complicated, make sure you do partial 20% water changes every one or two days to keep ammonia and nitrite levels under control. Also, remove left over food, and keep a good overall cleaning schedule.
For 4-5 Cynops i would go for the 20gallon, as a 10gallon might be a bit too crowded..and the more space the better.
If you haven´t yet, read the caresheet on CC:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml
I´m taking for granted that they are C.orientalis, but if they are not, the caresheets for the other species are there anyway.

uf

Reaction score
Ok! thanks for the tips. I went in the pet store and they didnt have any newts and so i ordered some, but he didnt tell me to buy the tank in advance. So do i Just add a little bit of water at a time to the tank, is that what you mean by the 20 percent thing?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
No hehe :) What i meant was that you fill the tank, and then every one or two days, you take 20% out and replace it with "new" water (bottled, aged tap water, whatever).
Here is a little piece of advice that i hope you don´t mind me giving: tell the petshop to cancel the order xD
That will allow you to take time to set the tank properly...think about what you want to put in it, cycle it, etc.
Also, there´s a second reason for me to recommend that you do not purchase those newts, and that´s because pet-shop newts are WC(wild-caught). Being WC means they have gone through a horrible importation (crowded, no food, unsuitable conditions...) during which many die. Those who survive are stressed and often ill. Even those looking good and plump may sucumb to illness because of the stress, and it´s common for them to die shortly after being purchased. Some obviously do very well, but there is always a risk when buying WC animals.
If i were you, and since you are a beginner, i´d look into getting some other species, one that´s easy and CB(captive bred). Pleurodeles waltl is an excelent choice (http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pleurodeles/P_waltl.shtml).
There are breeders in this forum that can provide you with CB, healthy animals of this and other species.

The choice is yours, obviously, but if you want to make a good start in this hobby i strongly recomend what i said above..you certainly won´t regret it!!!

By the way you can find quality information on cycling and many other important things like foods, substrates, etc, in the articles in CC. Make sure you give them a look.

uf

Reaction score
I went to the pet store today and they ordered 12 firebelly toads instead of newts on accedent. I was very mad at first but then decided to get the tank set up. i have a 20 gallon extra long tank with a large floating island and some artificial plants. I now have to wait an additional week for the newts. I will ask them about the ribbed newts too. So i guess in the end it all worked out for the best! Thanks!!!!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That shows how professional they are...as you can imagine buying animals from them is not the best option at all.
I recomend you try find a breeder, because that way you will get healthy, quality animals for sure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1