Sexing my fire bellied newts

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok after seeing 179shaz179's post about sexing newt and the responses I'm now doubting my identification of my newts. Can anyone help please...

I don't know how to add photos.

This is Tiny (I am aware that he/she is skinny, I rescued him/her like that and I am feedig him/her up)

DSC00511 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC00522 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The next photos are of Isaac...

I have no photos from under, however I thought male and female had different tail shapes and you can semi-see under the tail.

DSC00447 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

this shows the shape of Isaac's tail off
DSC00448 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Both newts have slightly different shaped tails...

I have a good underside photo of Isaac on my phone which I can load up if no one can help.

Thank you :happy:

Have a go at these articles. They will help you in your endeavor. (in addition to the input from others)

I am by no means an expert sexing this species, however here is my opinion:

"Tiny" looks like a male to me.

As for "Isaac" I am unsure of without a clear shot of the venter in addition to the tail shots.

That is fine thank you, I do think Tiny is a male also. I also think Isaac is a male as well; although I'll post a photo from my phone when I can of his tail shot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back