Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My pets

E Crawford

Reaction score
Im kinda new at this posting thingy, but i have had many amphibians. i have had a california newt since i was 3 years old.(2000):crazy:i have also a paddle tail newt, 2 fire bellied newts,a bullfrog, bullfrog tadpole that i think will never change, a giant pleco, and a big salamander that i found in kentucky at our pumpkin farm. all of these are in a 55 gallon with half land and water. i also have 6 african clawed frogs. they are seperated in 2 10 gallons along with guppies, mollies, and awesome plecos. im looking for alot of new stuff!i have vids of all my stuff on YouTube - MyFishies's Channel :rolleyes:

NecturusLindsay

Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum :happy:
First off, your paddletail and calif. look very well taken care of! Though you have been seemingly keeping caudates and other amphibians for a while with success, there may be some things you have not considered that people here can bring to you attention and help you with for an even better caudate experience!
It seems that you handle your pets a lot (which can be very damaging), and your species combination is a little worrisome. Your setup is great, but only for some of the species you keep in it. It seems you might have already noticed some quirks; in your video you mentioned how much more the paddletail likes the water than land, and how the firebellies are afraid of the fish...hint hint ;) I would have a look at the links below, especially the different disasterous accounts for species mixing. Some of the combinations on the list are present in your tank. And I would also suggest researching the different species you keep on the caudataculture site to find each animals specific needs.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...lamander-help/35743-handling-salamanders.html

Caudata Culture Articles - Species Mixing Disasters

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1