"5-minute Guide To Amphibian Disease"

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
I found this informative article in Exotic DVM Veterinary Magazine today while searching for something else
biggrin.gif

http://www.exoticdvm.com/pdfs/sample5-2.pdf

(Message edited by TJ on August 25, 2004)

Here's a clipping from the same publication:

21171.jpg

21172.jpg

Very interesting. Is it just me, or does this C. pyrrhogaster look suspiciously like it is actually a C. orientalis?

No, it's not just you. I pointed out the very same thing to the person who showed me this article
lol.gif

The Dendrobates auratus with spindly leg doesn't look like an auratus to me. At the end of the article they recommend "Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry" by Wright and Whitaker. That book is something every serious amphibian hobbyist should have.

At $150.00 used or $300.00 new, "Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry" had better be good. Does anyone own this book and if so, is it worth the money?

(Message edited by dln on August 26, 2004)

Hi David,
I have the book (and worked under one of the major author/editors for a number of years). I bought mine brand new from the publisher for $150 so I would say that $300 is a little high for the book.
The information on diseases and treatments alone is worth the money to me.
There are some husbandry practices recommended in the book that are in my opinion much too conservative or occasionally possibly erroneous but it was written by vets....

Ed

Thanks Ed. Too bad about the husbandry part but if it's that good on medical treatment, I'll probably bite the bullet

I have it. I bought it when it it first came out for 140.00 or 150.00. 300.00 seems steep. Try Larry at Maryland Reptile Farm. I bet he has it for 150.00. I saw it on his table last week at the Havre De Grace reptile show. I think it's a slow mover for him.
I did get the impression the vet stuff looked good. I think you would get better husbandry info from Caudata.culture, Dendroboard, Frognet, and some of the other online amphibian sites.
It's the most expensive book own but worth the money.

Warriorbooks.com has it for 120.00 used. Amazon is weird it has it for 300.00 used and 150.00 new. I would think the used ones would be like new.

Well its not the most expensive herp book I have purchased (my copy of Caecilians of the World has that distinction) and I'm sure that some of my other out of print books may be up there now (excluding some of my signed copies of some of out of print books).

I'm not saying that most of the husbandry is bad but it usually is conservative.

Ed

Thanks for the head's up Michael. I bought it from Warrior Books

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back