Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I have eggs - Icky!

A

anne-marie

Eggs everywhere - on the filters, on the rocks, in the hidey holes. Whenever my two decide to start a family its always pretty neat but the texture of these things is disgusting. Does anyone else agree with me, or am I heartless? Also, does anyone have a simple or quick way of removing the eggs from the surfaces? Yuck, yuck, yuck.

K

kaysie

lol, how can you be a salamander lover and be adverse to 'slimy' feel?

I think if you take something firm and sharp (I'm thinking credit card) and scrape it along the surface they're stuck to, they'd pop right off. However, I've never tried this (mine are still youngsters).

To avoid this for future reference, put in lots of plants, as they'll prefer to lay on plants than everywhere else.

A

anne-marie

Kaysie, I must admit that the "scrape" is my usual method - I was checking to see if there was anything less brutal - or more card friendly! Any other ideas out there?

Also, in regards to plants, I have read that plants are not too good as the currents which the 'lotls stir up tend to uproot them? As well, I have only big river rocks in my tank so I don't have anywhere for plants to root. I'm sure that this info is all in this forum somewhere but so is everything else - so easy to get lost reading it all!

A

andre

The simpliest way is to take a 4-5 mm Ø plastic tube and do a bit of sucking/spitting exercise with each egg ... in 10-15 minutes or so you should be over with it ;)

J

jeffrey

A turkey baster will suck the eggs off for you with no trouble. Which also saves accidentally sucking in a nice juicy slimey egg.
Hornwart works very well as a surface for egg laying as it is more robust than Elodea ( or has been in my tanks ). My Hornwart is fixed to small stones with rubber bands to facilitate easy removal too.

A

anne-marie

Just spent two hours getting the darn eggs off everything. Next time I'll definitely go with the plastic strip option, except I never know when to expect them to breed. How long can you leave the strips in the tank anyhow? Now I'm gonna take a shower - I feel like the Blob.

L

leighton

Turkey basters are great, but even with one we had to resort to scraping/scrubbing (with a plastic brush) to get eggs off tank surfaces.

K

kaysie

I assume you can leave the strips in indefinately. Any expert on this one?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1