Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP!!

H

heather

I have a female leucistic(thats her in my fuzzy pic)she is around 8 in and only 6/7 months old.Her tank mate which is the same age and size is definately a boy. i heard that females mature slower than males do and that breeding really young females can stress them to the point that they die! how long should i wait before i breed them?

M

mik

Heather, your axies wil breed when they are sexually mature and when the inclination takes them.

But the rate at which they mature will vary from animal to animal. If you leave then together your probably going to wake up to eggs one morning, anyway.

If you are at all worried about it then put a tank divider in or keep them apart. Until you think she's ready...It's quite likely she will breed some time between 8 mths and 12 mths. If left to their own devices it's also probable you they won't breed until December thru to July.

Sorry no absolute answer...as for the stress thing I have heard same about dog breeding, 'don't breed on first season she's too young'. Another arguement says if she's capable then she's ready. Personally i think if the female is mated too frequently then she will suffer and that after mating she should be left to recover for a a couple of months. But in the their natural habitat and axie might breed 3 times in the due season.

M

mary

I though that my black female axi was too young to breed and she is only about 18 cm long, but hey, she gave me 194 babies to look after and she is fine - better than ever!!! I have a yellow female that is about 4 cm longer than the black one and she is older too - but she hasn't given me any grandchildren yet!!! I don't know???????????

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1