Question

H

heather

i know that axies can produce alot alot of eggs in one spawning i have heard they can lay like almost a thousand. How many eggs seems to be the usual number ( if there is at all) i ask this because i live on a real small island and not very many pet shops here will sell axies. So im only going to be able to sell like 75 axies if they spawned (total)
sad.gif
i would find it hard to throw away eggs before they hatched. and i dont think id be able to ship them to really really far away wich is like every where considering where i live! has any one shiped axies to like another country? is that even an option??
if any one has ideas as to what i could do with a whole bunch of axies i would really appreciate the help!

the most common amount seems to be between 100 and 200. to ship them overseas you need a special permit, so unless it became a business for you, i don't think that would be an option.

If you dont have the heart to flush them, put the eggs back in with the parents. They'll eventually become lunch. If you cant do that, be prepared to raise them.

If you leave the eggs in the same aq as the parent's, monitor the water quality carefully.

The first time my female laid eggs, I had suddenly a Ammoniac peak that forced me to change 60% - 80% of the water.

As for the number of eggs, my other female laid last week about 130 eggs, of which about 10 went bad (this time ... 1 month ago I had 100% loss with the other female).

I don't think that any female will lay anything more than 200 eggs ... definitely never '000s.

i've heard of an axolotl laying 1000 eggs somewhere... not sure if it was just a myth, though.

In my first lot of eggs was 230 and 200 hatched and 193 are still alive - and now it's only 5 weeks since she layed those - and she's laying again!!!! So far there is over 100 - but it's hard to count cause she has layed them in the gravel this time cause there wernt many plants in there, I wasnt expecting them to do it again so soon!

Form what I have heard and read: a couple of hundred eggs is average but 1000 is exceptional.

My fat melanoid laid only 4 the other day. She's more than capable of dropping a few hundred. There's just no telling sometimes, is there?

400? lol..i want to ask, will more plants in the tank stimulate them? Also, how will i know the females are carrying eggs?

By the way this information provided for me is for future use.

Will paste it into my MS Word file for axolotl.

Thanks.

More plants in the tank won't necessarily stimulate them as it would give them more places to deposit eggs.

Females are easily identified by the fact that they are more round than males. This is because they are retaining eggs, so to answer your question, females are pretty much always carrying eggs, or at least producing them. However, you will not know when they are ready to breed, as it will happen naturally. Forcing them to do something they may not be ready for or may be too stressed to do, either now or in the future, could result in complications or possibly even death.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back