Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls rule in Queensland.

floosy

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Lu, and my son and daughter gave me 2 axolotls for my birthday and christmas. They came complete with everything except food and information! With no internet working, thanks iPhone for saving the day.

I wanted axolotls years ago, but I could not have them because my daughter is terrified of fish, whales and anything else watery. She says now she no longer lives at home it is okay if I have them.

So I now have an olive male and an albino female (as close as I can tell). And I love them already. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone here and seeing lots of photos, which are great. More importantly I am hoping I can find help with all the little stuff so I can care for them properly and keep them healthy and happy for a long time.

Cheers! floosy
:happy:

jarrennylund

Reaction score
Hi Lu

Welcome to the forums.

Where abouts are you in Queensland? I'm in Brisbane.

Actually, I just arrived home from Xmas holidays to discover my fish tank had broken and my poor little axolotl was left in only about 1cm of water that wasn't barely over his legs. I just assumed he was dead, but then noticed he was still moving his gills every now and then, so I quickly filled up a fish bowl and picked him up and put him in there. He seems to be okay so far, fingers crossed...

Jarren

frequenc

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Lu, and my son and daughter gave me 2 axolotls for my birthday and christmas. They came complete with everything except food and information! With no internet working, thanks iPhone for saving the day.

I wanted axolotls years ago, but I could not have them because my daughter is terrified of fish, whales and anything else watery. She says now she no longer lives at home it is okay if I have them.

So I now have an olive male and an albino female (as close as I can tell). And I love them already. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone here and seeing lots of photos, which are great. More importantly I am hoping I can find help with all the little stuff so I can care for them properly and keep them healthy and happy for a long time.

Cheers! floosy :happy:

That's a pretty sweet Christmas gift as far as I'm concerned!!! I hope the little guys bring you years of joy!

Welcome aboard!

Cheers,
Alex

ashie

Reaction score
Hi and welcome I've just come back from picking up my sister's very late Christmas gift lol same as yours but being I'm an ex-breeder so I'm set with 99.7% of info ect..

Could you please post some pictures of your set-up?

floosy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, and thank you all for the great welcome.

My camera is missing in action at the moment but I will have some pics by this afternoon. My poor overworked husband is outside at the moment in the rain (We live in Clontarf, just north of Brisbane) modifying our little drinks fridge so my axies can have their very own chiller under the house. Looks like I won't be moving their home for a while, as the hoses are going through the floor. I have been rotating freezer blocks for a couple of weeks now, and trying to keep the temp down. I am going to try fridging them for a few days and that should do them some good.

The wild type came with a bung leg, which does not seem to be doing anything, but from what i have been reading (takes up most of every day) it will either fall off or just grow back. He came with only one set of gills, which have now gone - the albino probably does not want to eat what I give her cos she has a food supply in her housemate! Or maybe it is the warmer water. It has been hard to keep it below 24, let alone down to 22.

Actually can someone direct me to where I might find info on what exactly the readings for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates should be? "Low" is not specific enough while I am learning this stuff. Also I thought I found a section on the whole cycle, and how to manipulate the levels, but now I can't find it.

My brain is full of Axolotlisms. Is that a word? I find myself talking to my husband and son like they know what the terminology is and I get funny looks. Also I have had a little feeder fish happily living in the tank with the axies, so I guess that means they are not hungry enough to catch it? they were hand fed in the Aquarium - though I must visit again today and ask them a few questions about Axies. They gave my son a bag of the tiniest gravel, maybe small enough to pass through, but then what happens if you end up with little ones? I thought it would just be easier to go for big pebbles.

Anyway, enough of that. I will post pics today. Look forward to more conversations.

floosy

floosy

Reaction score
OH, COOL, Jarren! My daughter lives in Highgate Hill so next time I am planning a visit, maybe we could get together and talk axies? i will post you my phone number as a private message.
floos

floosy

Reaction score
PS I found heaps of used fish tanks on ebay which need to be sold in the next couple of days, a person in Aspley. I hope you solved your Axolotl housing problem and that he is fine after his shallow holiday!
floos

petlover516

Reaction score
Welcome to Caudata! Your ammonia needs to be 0 at all costs, nitrites need to be 0 at all costs as well, but nitrates can be a little lose, but never above 30

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1