Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding Axies Worms

brella

Reaction score
I decided to start feeding my axies live worms. I got night crawlers at Walmart because that's the only place that had worms. So I cut one into pieces and fed it to my axies. (I have 2 small axies, but one is slightly bigger) The bigger one ate the piece and it took it like a minute to swallow. Then it just sat there without moving. Then I placed a few more pieces in the tank and it ate a piece again, and then sat there motionless again for a while.
Were the piece too big? How do I know how much is enough to feed them?

Terri9967

Reaction score
I usually cut my worms into pieces that are as long as my axies mouth is wide. As for how much to feed them, I usually feed mine twice a day while they are little, once they are adults you only feed them every 2 or 3 days. If I am wrong someone please correct me. I put a few pieces for each axie in the tank and check it after about 15min and any that they did not eat I remove from the tank.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Brella,

Terri is spot on! ;)

If I could just add, a general guide to ascertain if the axolotl is eating enough is to monitor their tummy. The tummy should be about as wide as the head, plump but not obese.

Don't worry if the portion size is too big. The axie will stubbornly work on it, but will eventually just spit it out.

Cheers Jacq.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect the sitting motionless after eating is that the worm is possibly still moving for while...mine seem to sit there as if they are patiently waiting to be able to open their mouths again.

brella

Reaction score
I just checked their tank this morning and I spotted 2-3 pieces of worm. They must have thrown them up late last night. Does that mean something is wrong with the worms or they just ate more than they could digest?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They probably just ate too much. Try feeding a little less next time. I've frequently bought worms from Walmart, so I don't think there's too much risk in them.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If it is their first time on worms go slowly. I made the mistake of feeding lots of worms at once when I had extras. The axies got sick. It is my guess they got sick because of the quick change in diet. My guess is an all worm diet is fine. I try to avoid to much big bouncing around in diet. Mostly I feed salmon pellets to my axolotls and feed lightly with worms. With most aquatic animals overfeeding is a bigger problem than underfeeding.

brella

Reaction score
Yeah the worm thing is not going to happen. The first time I fed them worms I made my boyfriend cut them but now he's on vacation. I'm vegetarian and there's no way I can cut live worms anymore...plus it freaked me out that they threw some up.
Is there any other food that does not make a mess besides worms?

milly124x

Reaction score
Yeah the worm thing is not going to happen. The first time I fed them worms I made my boyfriend cut them but now he's on vacation. I'm vegetarian and there's no way I can cut live worms anymore...plus it freaked me out that they threw some up.
Is there any other food that does not make a mess besides worms?
I don't know if this helps, but worms can't feel pain so it doesn't hurt when u chop them up?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!