Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello & What's the situation with the Caudata hobby in Ontario, Canada.

Spitfire

Reaction score
Hello...

I have an avid interest in Caudata, both as a pet hobby, and ecology and preservation.

I use to keep and breed European Fire Salamanders a few years back. Now that i want to get back into the hobby: I'm finding it impossible to obtain any, find any stores who could bring in some specimen, and find any information as to why I'm having such difficulties, as most store employees don't know why the suppliers can't bring them in anymore. Have banns been put on importing salamanders and Newts here. I know it's highly illegal to keep any native species here but has this extented into exotic species too?

Any knowledge on this topic will be most appreciated.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Spitfire,
I deleted the duplicates of this thread and moved this into the introductions area, where people from Ontario might notice it. Welcome, and I hope you find people up there!

Dawn

RandallRock

Reaction score
Hello. I live about 3 miles from Ontario in Niagara Falls, New York. Are you anywhere near there? I've been known to get my hands on a Fire Salamander from time to time. Let me know. Peace

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that international trade of animals can be difficult. It requires the proper import/export permits, port exception permits, vet paperwork, etc.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello...

I have an avid interest in Caudata, both as a pet hobby, and ecology and preservation.

I use to keep and breed European Fire Salamanders a few years back. Now that i want to get back into the hobby: I'm finding it impossible to obtain any, find any stores who could bring in some specimen, and find any information as to why I'm having such difficulties, as most store employees don't know why the suppliers can't bring them in anymore. Have banns been put on importing salamanders and Newts here. I know it's highly illegal to keep any native species here but has this extented into exotic species too?

Any knowledge on this topic will be most appreciated.
I know nothing about your local regulations, but it's quite possible that there are fewer imports, particularly of European species, which are mostly protected now. Given your interest in ecology and conservation, you could view this as a positive change.

If you lurk around this forum for a while, or look at old posts, you will probably find some other Canadians interested in breeding caudates. Trade among hobbyists is a good way to find animals, and certainly better ecologically, as compared to imports. Imports into pet shops are nearly always wild-caught animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1