Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mudpuppy not eating

E

erik

My name is Erik Leitner and this is my first post. I am an elementary science teacher and am very impressed with the knowledge base I have seen as I have read through the forums.

I have recently obtained a mudpuppy through Underground Reptiles in Deerfield Beach, Florida. They have an excellent reputation and have never done me wrong in the past.

Let me also say that I am aware of the differences between Tiger Salamanders and Mudpuppies and know that is not the case here.

My concern is that the Mudpuppy has not eaten in two weeks. I have tried many foods, but find the only one he has any interest in are Canadian Nightcrawlers. He will take them in but spit them up. He does not look too skinny, nor are his gills in poor shape. What do you suggest to help improve his appetite?

Thanks in advance,

Erik Leitner

P

paris

try the smaller 'pan fish' worms (aka european night crawlers-avaiable at wal mart)the canadian guys are really big, if hes been off food for a while he might be better on smaller stuff...when you say he spits them up-does he do it right away, or some time later he upchucks them???

E

erik

He spits it out right away. But he does take the whole thing into his mouth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1