Hello from Illinois USA.

hdonahue

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tree Hugging Auxie
Hello my name is Hannah. I'm from IL. I recently adopted a mudpuppy (Necturus maculosus) from my friend moving to college. Sally :ha: is a good 11".

She was a present from her mom's teacher back in 5th grade I believe. So if I'm correct she is 7 years old. She has eaten shrimp pellets her whole life with a bare bottom 10 gallon tank. She is now happily in a turtle tank, about to upgrade to a full 20 gallon long as soon as I get my paycheck, with two hiding spots, river rocks live food and fresh oxygenated running water.

I'm really interested mainly in mudpuppies, sirens and atoxyls:confused:. Salamanders are also interesting to me. There are a great indicator of the environment and knowing how they live is great studying. I would love to breed her!

:wacko: lol it seems I have misspoken. I believe Sally is an Auxie not a mudpuppy given she has 5 toes on her hind leg and 4 on the front (both sets are pointy). She does not have a python-like shaped head either but she is very vividly colored!

Attachments

• Sally in her new home.jpg
    Sally in her new home.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 184
Welcome to you and Sally! :)

I got my first Tiger Salamander from a 5th grade teacher too. :) You will find all sorts of answers and information on this site. Everyone is great and very passionate about our Caudates.

Let us know how Sally likes her new set-up when you get her there!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back