Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New and unsure :/

Riotgrrrrl

Reaction score
Hi :) Im totally new to this so please bear with me if this is a stupid question... I received 10 eggs through the post today, Half of them are milky white or looking deformed I have 3 that are looking ok. Theyre not moving at all in the eggs, is this normal? Once they hatch (if!) Im planning on using an empty take away container for the time being to make feeding easier - do I put the lid on the container or leave it open? Also, at what stage can I then transfer them into a tank? The tank Im currently cycling is 30inches long by 13 inches wide.

Thanks in advance :)

Riotgrrrrl

Reaction score
The 3 ok looking eggs have now gone fuzzy and the Axolotls just looked squished in places :( Im assuming they're all dead. Can anyone recommend where I can buy some more eggs in the UK?

jane1187

Reaction score
The original three that looked Ok were the only live ones... but now that you've lost those three too I'm afraid you're right.

Keep an eye out on the for sale (united kingdom) page on this forum or make a post in the wanted section. There are plenty of people on here with axolotls spawning. Hopefully they'll be able to help you out with some healthy eggs and some advice on how to keep them alive after you receive them (the main thing is to immediately remove fuzzy or very milky eggs as these are infected or already dead and can contaminate your healthy eggs).

Good luck

Riotgrrrrl

Reaction score
:-O well I kept one fuzzy egg aside, the other 2 turned into blobs and started to break down. I was pretty sure the last fuzzy egg was dead, no movement ever from the axolotl and it was a milky grey colour, but for some reason kept it "just in case". Well blow me, I checked on Sunday and it had hatched! (think I actually squealed :p) Little Nixie (probably too early to name, oh well) is doing ok so far I think, loving daphnia and has an orange belly. I cant believe against all the odds, the little dude actually hatched. I know the odds of this 1 hatchling are slim for survival, but Im doing the best I can and hope it survives ^___^ The eggs were sold to me as leucistic, dunno if anyone can tell me what they think it may be...?

Attachments

• Nixie.jpg
    Nixie.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 239

jane1187

Reaction score
Congratulations!

Most people on here will advise you to throw away fuzzy or milky eggs, but you are right some of them will still be alive inside. Most throw them away because of the risk of contaminating other eggs rather than keep them alive.

Its perfectly plausible to put the fuzzy ones aside and raise them seperately in the hope that the hatch.

But its good that you've got a lovely little one. Did any others hatch? How many do you have?

Riotgrrrrl

Reaction score
I kept the other 9 eggs together as I wanted to make totally sure they weren't viable before I threw them away, but I knew they were dead as the eggs and the axies inside started to break down and rot. I kept the last fuzzy egg separate from those, so just had the one hatch. Every day I get home from work worried about what I might find when I get home but so far so good. He/she doesn't move around that much at the moment, but is super fast when it does. The axie is about 16mm long at the moment, sooo cute :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1