Photo: Share your axolotl's weird regenerations!

Hoagii

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Leah
I love seeing pictures of axolotls' regenerative abilities in action, so I thought some of you may find this interesting.

About a year ago, I came home to find my axolotl had kinked off one of his fingers at a 90 degree angle. It was determined that it was a closed fracture or dislocation and not at risk for infection, so I just left it alone.
hoagii-albums-fozz-picture40589-fozz-finger-1.jpg

Eventually the little finger started to straighten out and heal, but I noticed he was also getting a little bulge out the back of his finger. From what I can guess, his hand lost the signal that his fingertip was still there after the break, and decided to grow a new one, even with the old one still attached!
hoagii-albums-fozz-picture40590-fozz-finger-2.jpg

So now he has a cute little mutant finger :p He kind of walks on it like a high heeled shoe lol

I'd love to see more pictures of your little mutants!!

Not really a regeneration, but when she was a baby she got a fungal infection and her gill now has a permanent curl.
20170109_211111.jpg

My new baby had a gill bitten off by a sibling before I got him, and it grew back with a slight kink in it. It's his funky little haircut :)

pixelstix-albums-squishy-picture40770-he-very-photogenic-today-even-yawned-i-wasnt-able-catch-yawn-but-i-did-catch-him-smiling-looking-up-camera.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back