Found these ?

Kraken27

Reaction score
Country
England
First time posting here....found these in local pond...summising someones dumped some axolotls in there and well...this is the result...question is... will they be ok to keep? Think ive got nine some are tiny...ive already got an adult and hes done great since i got him last year...finding it hard to get live food for the babies...ive got about two each in little containers atm but how many is too many in a tank? Ive only ever had one on his own thanks ��

EDIT: are these even axolotls ?������

Attachments

• 20170702_102131.jpg
    20170702_102131.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 20170701_194409.jpg
    20170701_194409.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 141
Hi, too many could be two depending on how hungry the biggest one is! I keep 8 young Salamandra in a 12" x 8" tub very well fed and so far so good but always very wary of size differences.
Go to Maidenhead Aquatics they sell live food. I bought one pack for £1 and cultured them in stale tap water fed with suspension of yeast mixed in water .use the dried yeast from the bread making part in Sainsbury's.
Your photos look like newt larvae.

Thanks for the reply ill give that a try...they have ate frozen bloodworm today :) yeah ive seperated by size so the tiny ones dont end up dinner lol my sons quite excited to see what they grow into glad i kept my spare tanks lol

Those aren't axolotls. They are larvae of some other kind of salamander.

Those are newt larvae (since there are no native salamanders in the UK). I suspect these are smooth newts.
Great crested newts are protected you could be arrested for removing them - I suggest you put them back, it's not a good idea to take any wild/native species into captivity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back