Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl necessities and some questions about them

Fisher0415

Reaction score
I recently got two axolotls in the mail and for the first two days they didn't move very much and yesterday they started moving around a lot. Not too much but a lot more active then what they were. My first question is, how much are juvenile axolotls supposed to move around?

And a next thing, do they require a light? I know they don't like light because they don't have eyelids, but do they absolutely have to have one or can they go without?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
They are fine without a light, you really only need it so you can see when feeding/cleaning the tank. The room light should be enough for that :)

tinasvfx

Reaction score
my axie isn't a juvenile, but she chills out for most of the time unless I'm spending more than a normal amount of time in my room - cleaning, etc ... she likes to make herself known and show off or explores after a tank clean. I have a pretty low light for her that I rarely turn on unless it's for show/cleaning.

fancynewwhatevr

Reaction score
I've moved twice with my axie and both times he was so still for the first couple days afterward I was worried about him. I think they just get a little traumatized during moves. My guy was really active as a juvenile, always swimming around. He's gotten a lot more chill the older he gets.

Biev

Reaction score
It really depends on the axolotl. Some of them are more inquisitive or playful than others. They all mellow out as they age, though.

Personally I like to use a light so I can grow plants. The plants provide plenty of shade, and my lotls like to play and hide in them. I think it's good environmental enrichment, but you can certainly do without.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!