Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick axie - help!

Erincroce

Reaction score
So I have had 3 axolotls for about 6 months and they have been very healthy. We recently added a new one who sadly ended up being sick so we had to get rid of him :/ we replaced him with a new one and they’ve been good for a few days. Today however, I found my gcp copper floating at the top and also bleeding from the leg/cloaca and I’m very worried! Definitely don’t have exotic pet vets around here so I need some good advice!

Erincroce

Reaction score
Here are some photos :(

Attachments

• 972214C8-D9B1-4E17-A052-610FA6B0E510.jpg
    972214C8-D9B1-4E17-A052-610FA6B0E510.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 7618BDB8-7824-4CB0-BEB0-DCA1F9FBE6B8.jpg
    7618BDB8-7824-4CB0-BEB0-DCA1F9FBE6B8.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 117

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
So, What are your water specs and temperature?

"get rid of him" lol what that even means? Do you have quarantine setup too? And define "sick". How big are the other lotls? Were they all in same tank?

Posting more information about everything that will give us better picture will net you more replies, your post feels like being half-a'd.

Erincroce

Reaction score
I’m sorry you think my post was half assed. I’m new here and seeking help so a response like this one is pretty disappointing. All the water levels are good and temperature around 67 f. Excuse my poor choice of words when I said get rid of him, we obviously had to remove the sick axolotl from the tank and bring him back to the breeder. He got noticeably ill not even 12 hours of having him. Anyway this one that is now having issues is quarantined, all of them are the same size. It appears that 2 of them nipped at each other, except the copper seems really off. I thought she/he was dead at first when I found her floating. Sooo nervous. And bleeding hasn’t really stopped. Any advice?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Can you get a photo from below if possible as well?
Cooler water will help him heal, and may stop the bleeding. Try 60 degree water?
Keep him separated during recovery. Is he eating?
You could call a good exotic vet and try and get some advice over the phone, especially with the bleeding.
What size if your tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!