Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dirty river rocks

Emmapenguin

Reaction score
Hi
I have just river rocks as substrate in my tank but they are getting pretty dirty. I move them around when syphoning and lift them up to get the food and poop out but what about the rocks? I am worried about removing good bacteria if i clean the rocks. Will this happen? Shpuld i just do a few at a time or leave them or just give them a quick suction? So unsure,. Thanks for any advice.
Emma

Crnk29

Reaction score
Most of the beneficial bacteria will be found in your cycled filters in things such as the media. It shouldnt cause any harm to clean the rocks, although i would clean them in tank water you have siphoned out. Doing half one water change and half another would also be a safe idea.
Ben

Emmapenguin

Reaction score
Re: Dirty river rocks and filter

Thanks Ben, i think i will put some sand on one side of the tank and reduce some rocks. My water parameters are all good but its just too hard to clean. I should remove my little ones then put the cleaned sand in. I have live plants so that will be good. I just dont want to lose any bacteria but my filter is looking manky. A quick wash in the aquarium water should be ok i think for the outside and a quick rinse of the sponge in the same water?.? Is tgat right? Keep using Prime!
Thanks
Emma

Crnk29

Reaction score
Re: Dirty river rocks and filter

That should be ok for your filter as long as it’s not all parts at once. Make sure the sand is fine enough! Best of luck
Ben

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!