Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water changes when fridging?

debadog

Reaction score
I'm finally giving up with this stupid heatwave in London, i'm going to have to fridge. Tank is 28C, its gotten completely out of hand.

I'm a little confused because in all the fridging tutorials it says that a 100% water change is required daily...but how do you do that if the axolotl is in the container? I didn't really understand how I would do it so I ended up just buying two temporary mini tanks so he can swap from one to the other each day, but will he get stressed if I'm constantly picking him up and moving him every day? What do other people usually do?

Thanks!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
What you're doing is exactly what I would say to do!

StephLizZ

Reaction score
I have a related question, I hope it's ok to ask on this thread. How hot does the tank have to get before it's worth it to fridge them? My tank got up to 76-78F (25C) and I panicked and fridged them before they started showing signs of stress. Now I'm worried the whole process was worse than just leaving them a little hot for a couple days.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Other than for health reasons you shouldn't need to fridge unless there is no way you can get their tank under 20 degrees (in a sudden big heatwave, for example). My first suggestion is to have a chiller, but these are expensive though you can DIY one for a lot cheaper. Next I'd suggest a fan, and finally as an emergency frozen water bottles changed regularly.
In your case fridging is better than leaving them in warm water, as long as they aren't in water that is fluctuating in temp. If the tank is hitting 19 degrees you want to figure out what your solution will be.
Hope that helps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!