Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Caring for 2 inch axolotl?

Pukamaroo

Reaction score
I've recently bought a baby axolotl that will be around 2-2.5 inches. She/he will arriving Wednesday and I would like some advice for caring!
I think I've already got the basics down. No sand for the axolotl until it's bigger than 3 inches is what I've been told. I didn't expect to be buying one when it was so young, but I fell in love with the little guy! What I'm mostly concerned about is what to feed it. Would very small earthworms be alright? I know people recommend frozen bloodworms, but my access to them readily is limited. I'm assuming small enough earthworms maybe some daphnia would be fine
Any help and advice is very much appreciated! :happy:

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I think earthworms might be fine at that size, just chop them up nice and small. I haven't used daphnia so can't say much about that. Once you get the little axie make sure to post a picture :)

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
jumping on this thread because i cant seem to find many about this particular size range.

i recently came into possession of 5 juvenile Axies between 2-2.5 in in length, they looked a bit more "fish-like" when i first got them (all have 4 legs but back pair was underdeveloped for a couple) and now the ones closer to 2.5in are looking more and more like tiny adults.

i have a few questions that i have had no luck finding information on, maybe i need better google-fu but it just seems to me that most breeders wait until they are 3-3.5in before selling and not much info other then what to feed them is around.
ok my questions for those who have had young juveniles:

1. Will deep water stress my little guys? 3 of the 5 are currently in a 10 gallon tank half filled, they have some slate stones that are stacked to rest on near the surface but i keep the water high for better ammonia dilution, would separating them into individual tubs be better?
  2. how large should isolation tanks be in relation to axolotl size?
  3. is it good or bad to supplement their food with carnivore pellets? mostly like a treat/ to fatten my skinny babies up
  4. How can i make water changes less stressful? my tank is uncycled and i do daily 20-50% water changes (50% twice daily for the isolation tanks) while im waiting for my 20 long to cycle. it seems that the flow from adding water back into the tank might be stressing them out, just wondering if anyone had tips on how to change the water without taking all of them out every time

also, not really a question but im so worried that im gonna lose one of these little guys, they seem so fragile! 3 of them came to me last week with fungus and one seems to have had its tail shredded by its brothers, the fungus appears to be gone after one salt bath and a couple tea baths but i cant tell if the injured guy is ok or not, would more tea baths/tea dilution in water be beneficial if hes just a bit ripped up?

Pukamaroo

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I can try giving advice based on my experience so far!

1. I currently have my little guy in 10 gallon as well and have had him there since I got em. He's doing absolutely fine so I believe deep water isn't an issue at all. Also! I've heard that babies go through a cannibalistic stage until they are about 6 inches and may even make a habit of it their full lives if they're allowed to behave that way. So you should probably keep them separately rubbed until they are about 6 inches.
2. I know adult axolotls are suppose to be kept in at a 20 gallon for 1 and + 10 gallons for each additional axolotl kept in the same tank. That's apart from just temporary tubbing for babies and juveniles.
3. Carnivore pellets alone should be alright until they're about 3- 3.5 inches. After that they're good for supplements along with earthworms or blackworms because growing babies need a lot of fuel and energy to keep them growing at a healthy rate and weight. Adult axies are fine with just earthworms every other day.
4. Using a strainer when filling a tank back up is great for significantly reducing the strength of the water flow! :D I use this method a lot when doing water changes for fish tanks or I don't feel like removing my little guy. I'm sure it also reduces the animal's stress because you won't have to move them from and back to the tank

I don't really know much about caring for injured and sick axolotls, but there's a Facebook group called "Everything axolotls!" And it's full of experienced and friendly axolotl owners. I reccomend checking them out!

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I can try giving advice based on my experience so far!

1. I currently have my little guy in 10 gallon as well and have had him there since I got em. He's doing absolutely fine so I believe deep water isn't an issue at all. Also! I've heard that babies go through a cannibalistic stage until they are about 6 inches and may even make a habit of it their full lives if they're allowed to behave that way. So you should probably keep them separately rubbed until they are about 6 inches.
2. I know adult axolotls are suppose to be kept in at a 20 gallon for 1 and + 10 gallons for each additional axolotl kept in the same tank. That's apart from just temporary tubbing for babies and juveniles.
3. Carnivore pellets alone should be alright until they're about 3- 3.5 inches. After that they're good for supplements along with earthworms or blackworms because growing babies need a lot of fuel and energy to keep them growing at a healthy rate and weight. Adult axies are fine with just earthworms every other day.
4. Using a strainer when filling a tank back up is great for significantly reducing the strength of the water flow! :D I use this method a lot when doing water changes for fish tanks or I don't feel like removing my little guy. I'm sure it also reduces the animal's stress because you won't have to move them from and back to the tank

I don't really know much about caring for injured and sick axolotls, but there's a Facebook group called "Everything axolotls!" And it's full of experienced and friendly axolotl owners. I reccomend checking them out!

thanks for responding!

i feed them bloodworms as well as attempting to supplement pellets, ive read that blackworms can have parasites but i plan on switching them to earthworms as soon as they seem big enough for slices, right now they have trouble with whole pellets so i think even a segment of worm might be too wide.

i'll have to pick up a strainer! thats a good idea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!