Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

SWEEPING BAN on salamander trade/transportation in effect this month

pete

Reaction score
Who are the groups and people that pushed for the ban in the first place? I would like to know and think all of us in the hobby should know. I just want to understand why transportation of captive-bred caudates,in their minds, pose a risk to wild populations? If they want to find out if populations captive or wild, have the fungus, why would they ban the transportation of swabs that could find it? There seems to me they don`t have a leg to stand on regarding all this & they are using fear, not facts, to push their own agenda.

By chance, I found myself rereading this old press item that I posted.

It states;

Pete said:
But when it comes to policy, Lips says, the Fish and Wildlife Service's choices are limited. The Lacey Act was established in 1900 and is now used to control the introduction of invasive species and prevent illegal trade in wildlife. However, there's no provision for wildlife diseases.

"The Fish and Wildlife Service has been very interested in chytrid and amphibian diseases for many years," Lips says. "But there's a problem. Under the Lacey Act, they don't have the legal authority to do much."

Scientists aren't the only ones pushing for action. Priya Nanjappa of the Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies says that last year her group asked the Fish and Wildlife Service to create a temporary emergency rule that would place all salamanders — or at least those most at risk — under the protection of the Lacey Act.

This spring, the Fish and Wildlife Service said it would consider that request.

Meanwhile, Nanjappa, who is AFWA's amphibian, reptile and invasive species coordinator, is in charge of developing a nationwide response plan in case Bsal is found in the U.S. before imports are controlled.

Maybe it answers some of your questions.

josh1990

Reaction score
Thank you for that information! It says right in that text that they have no legal basis for this! This is government over-reach! Don`t get me wrong, I`m all for the ban on the importation of European & Asian species (that are wild caught) to try to prevent the fungus showing up in the U.S. but to ban the transportation across state lines is just a knee-jerk reaction with no scientific data. Any government body that looks over native species has to look at the cold-hard facts and not Anti-pet opinions and feelings. Just because a group of anti-pet people lobby Fish & Game and say "But muh feelings get hurt when I see a herptile in a cage!", does not mean they can dictate what we keep and breed. Scientific facts always trump opinions and ideology and that is something the P.E.T.A. like groups need to get through their thick skulls that are always stuck in the sand! :mad:
I am not trying to hurt any ones feelings but extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence.I`m going to use that article for talking points for my letters to my Senators.I really hope this law can be revised but I`m not going to hold my breath for it.I hope all U.S. members have contacted their Representatives and Senators and used the facts and how it will impact them. I`ll get of my soapbox now! LOL...;)

manderkeeper

Reaction score
USARK says the mass listing is unlawful, see http://usark.org/uncategorized/7893/

So now it's in the courts hands. I am all for USFW protecting animals but it needs to be done in an appropriate way and not in the way which powerful animal rights groups like the center for biological diversity and HSUS use their political allies to have done.

Mrsunshine

Reaction score
I understand the help on not spreading disease, but stopping interstate trade makes no sense.. this is awful

Joep

Reaction score
a simple vetcheck can be the solution!!
totall bann kills our hobby!!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please see the comments below. My summary was not entirely accurate.

Currently, it is not in effect. It is no longer legal to ship to and from the US as a whole, and some states have their own rules, but the ban we are talking about is currently NOT in effect.

Last edited:

FrogEyes

Reaction score
It is misleading to say that the ban is not in effect. It IS, but legally It does not apply to movements between the 49 continental states. It DOES apply to movements to or from Hawai'i, any of the territories, including Puerto Rico and DC, and the 49 continental states as a unit. It does not apply to exports from the country, provided those exports don't involve movements between any of the above units [each of the territories, Hawai'i, the continental states as a unit].

To put it another way. it's legal for movements to be made within the USA, but ONLY between the 49 continental states [including Alaska], and NOT including the District of Columbia.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1