ND Press: Education in Action: Amphibian Professor

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
KFYR (Bismark, N Dakota) 25 September 08 Education in Action: Amphibian Professor
Most people can remember the excitement of catching frogs and salamanders as children. A Minot State University professor never outgrew that excitement. Now, he heads the Amphibian Growth Project at the college and his excitement is inspiring research and students.
"I have decided that salamanders are some of the dumbest animals ever," says Christopher Beachy.
But what salamanders lack in brains, they make up for in intrigue. At least that is what Christopher Beachy believes.
"Frogs and Salamanders are just neat!" says Beachy.
"Are they?" asks the reporter.
"Shayah! They are totally neat!" says Beachy.
Beachy is a professor of Biology at Minot State University. Needless to say, he is excited about amphibians and he has dedicated his career to studying the species.
Beachy heads up the Amphibian growth project. He established the research project shortly after he began teaching at the college in 1998. The study looks to examine the relationship between amphibian growth and metamorphosis. Researchers look at amphibian population levels in North Dakota, metamorphosis and how heavy metals influence amphibian development.
"We are happy to say we offer the best biology opportunities for any undergraduate in this region of the great plains," says Beachy.
In Beachy`s department, students have the opportunity to do significant research. Every undergraduate student researches a original topic and submits the research to the North Dakota Academy of Science Meeting. Some students go on to international meetings and have their work published in journals. The Amphibian Growth Project has also expanded beyond MSU. There are several field test sites monitored by community colleges and schools. Beachy also spreads awareness about amphibians to younger students.
"We hope to have lots a salamander watchers out there in North Dakota," says Beachy.
And while most people may not have Beachy`s enthusiasm for amphibians, Beachy hopes they can at least learn to respect the species.
http://www.kfyrtv.com/News_Stories.asp?news=22697

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back