Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Questions about breeding setup for Salamandra

Vern5384

Reaction score
I have a trio of adult S. salamandra and one of the females looks gravid enough to pop any minute. My question is: What kind of set up (specifically how large of a water dish and how deep) should be provided? Do they seem to have any trouble climbing in and out of certain size/shape containers? I'm new to keeping this species. Pictures of your set ups would be worth a thousand words, but I'll take what I can get. Thanks!

Llamaguy36

Reaction score
Enough dirt for them to dig into and a couple of logs or cork bark works very well. Plants make it look better but aren't needed. As for the water dish the shape doesn't really matter, just make it shallow enough for your salamanders to be able to stand in, and make it easy to escape.

Vern5384

Reaction score
Well, today I looked in the water dish (a tupperware partially buried in the substrate) to find 3 larvae! Tonight I am sitting up in the dark watching her give birth to more. She has entered and left the water a few times, but keeps coming back. I see at least 3 more larvae, so far, however 2 of these were beached on the soil next to the water dish. I briefly interupted her to rescue the unfortunate ones and then turned the lights back off to see if she would continue. Is it common to find unlucky larvae that were birthed before the mother makes it to the water (or after she leaves)? Also, how long will she lay for and how many larvae might I expect to end up with?

Vern5384

Reaction score
Update: I wound up getting 8 last night and another 6 today (she came out to birth more as soon as I removed the others and changed the water in the dish.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1