Axolotl not eating please help!

Garysgirl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Laura
My axolotl,Gary, has been off his food for several weeks.I used to feed him frozen bloodworms and axolotl pellets.A few weeks ago he refused to eat his bloodworms so I tried him on finely chopped prawns.He ate a small amount for a few days and now won't eat any.At the moment he is only on his pellets but even then he will only take one or two a day.He has turned sluggish and his gills are a very pale pink.Any advice on new food or feeding him differently would be great.He's a bit hopeless at snapping for food and catching pellets.
Any advice on how much he should be eating daily would be great too,he is 9 months old and nearly half the length of his 2 foot tank.
Please help as I don't want him to starve :(

Can you post the test results for your ammonia, nitrite, nitrAte, and PH.

Also post your water temperature and clear images of your tank and Axolotl.

Have you added anything to your tank or changed any keeping habits recently ?

Try mincing night crawlers/earth worms and wiggling/moving them with long feeding tongs/tweezers. The moving stimulates them! Worms are also one of the very best foods for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axolotl eyesight is not good, so snapping for something small, like a pellet, is often a bit hit and miss. Mine are the same. Blanched earthworms, cut in half or smaller, moved in front of him might trigger him to snap.
As Chris said, please post all of your water parameters and some pictures of the tank, and some close up pictures of Gary. That will help us to work out what is happening.
:D

You've already been asked for water parameters so I'll throw in an extra. A healthy axie at that age is very mobile and loves eating. There's something with him or her for sure. It's hard to see at that age too. Inspect the gills and see if there is anything you can spot. Look at the skin for any abrasions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back