I'm confused....

steven1969s

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm very confused regarding the p. Chinensis species. Everywhere I have read they mention that sexual dimorphasism between the genders are that the male has a swollen cloaca during breeding season and that he developes a white line on his tail...... well, I have a female that has this white line as well. The male is laying spermatophores on the glass, leaves of plants while he fallows the female around. I have also read that the female has a red line on the bottom of her tail, but the my male also has this red line. To me the only difference is the cloaca size and maybe the length of their tails. The female has a longer tail than the male. The female stays very close to the one male and I'm pretty sure i'll see eggs a month from now.
I have attached pics of their cloacas to see what you guys think. Could it be possible that females also develop the white line on their tails?

By the way. On a previous post that I started called "what is this" someone said that those are snail eggs, but they turned out to be spermatophores.

Steve

Attachments

• 20131020_163517.jpg
    20131020_163517.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 987
  • 20131020_163245.jpg
    20131020_163245.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 629
Sorry. The one on the left is the male laying spermatophores and the other is the female. What do you guys think?

the one on the left is the male the other a female i believe

Steven, I'm moving your thread over to the species-specific section, as I think you'll get a better answer over there.

Any idea yet if they are male or female? Im sure the one with the swollen cloaca is obviously a male..the other one looks like a female but im not too sure. What kind of set up do you have yours in? what are you feeding them? Can you provide pics please :)

The cloaca of the one on the right still looks male to me. The female cloaca is triangular or 'volcano-shaped' in profile. This animal looks like a male that isn't in top breeding condition. Make sure that the full-condition male doesn't start bullying the other as this can lead to a rapid decline in the bullied animal.

Hi Chris.

I believe you are right. The one with small cloaca has developed the white stripe along the tail.
Now I have 3 males and no girls.:(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back