Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A couple of Paddletails

numpty

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just thought I'd intoduce my paddletails with a short intro and a few pictures. I got these guys about six months ago in a well-known plant market here in Taipei, Taiwan. The owner didn't know much about them but said he was selling them off as they weren't big earners. (They were going for about US$2.50 each.) I had a tank that I knew I could adapt easily, and guessing they were probably firebellies, I thought I'd be able to keep the temperatures in range without too much work. So I bought a couple and took them home. Well, on closer inspection, they were obviously paddetails. That bothered me for a few reasons, among them the lower temperature requirements. Winter was fine, with ambient temperatures drifting between about 12 and 20 degrees C (about 54 to 68 F in old-fashioned money), but now temperatures are climbing and I've been playing around with different cooling methods. It isn't perfect yet, but tank temperatures haven't yet gone above 21C (70F), while ambient temperatures in the apartment have been in the high 20s (up to 80F) during late afternoon. By July the ambient temperature will never drop below 30C (86F) in the apartment ... I'll have my work cut out then!

I was also worried about their aggression, and indeed there have been times when they fought viciously, and early on I had to divide the tank. However, since I put them back together about four months ago, they've been fine, apart from minor squabbles at feeding times.

Anyway, that's a lot of rambling about nothing. Here are some snaps of the guys. (If indeed they are guys ... any ideas on sexing?)

Thanks for looking, if you made it this far!

numpty-albums-paddletails-picture33247-a.jpg

Red and Ralph

numpty-albums-paddletails-picture33244-a.jpg

Ralph

numpty-albums-paddletails-picture33245-a.jpg

Red

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1