Hello chaps, newby Axolotl lover

Jon Tribe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Chaps
My first post, new to the group, very much like the idea of getting into the Axolotl hobby.
I was hoping you knowledgeable types can help with some advice for a newby hoping to get into the hobby.
Could you give me some pointers on aquarium setup?
I understand that Axolotls do not like excessive flow/water movement, could I ask, how should I set up my filtration?
I am hoping to house 5 or six specimens in a 65 gal tank using a SunSun HW-302 canister filter (pump duty is rated at 265 GPH), is this flow rate too much?
I was also planning on having a couple of air stones in the tank to give extra aeration, would this be a good idea?
I also understand Axolotls don't do well in higher temps, I'm from Baltimore Maryland so during the hottest part of the summer ambient temp might get to low 80s F. Should I invest in a cooler to maintain lower temps during the hottest part of the year?
Any ideas/advice pointers to care sheets would be gratefully accepted!
TIA

Heya Jon! Let me start with a great care site:

http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm

I am also very new, so I can't give a lot of advice from experience, but I recommend some (floating) Hornwort and marimo balls to help with aeration and setting up a healthy environment :)

You absolutely need a chiller. A fan can bring down the temperature a few degrees in a smaller tank, but won't have much impact at all on your tank, and floating bottles of ice causes huge temperature fluctuations... aaaaand also likely wouldn't be effective in a tank that size. Some additional things to help are keeping the tank low (basement would be ideal!) as hot air rises and an A/C. If you are resourceful, you can make your own chiller with a mini fridge and some garden hose. YouTube it :)

For your filter you are going to want a spray bar to disperse the outflow and reduce the current :)

Uh... if you do get the hornwort... rinse it first and look up how to kill off hitchhikers. I put it in my tank directly and it took a huge dump of needles everywhere XD I also found a tiny snail in my tank today.

Hi Kitan, thanks for the input...
Your right, I definitely need a chiller don't I!
I did some googling and really had not realized Axolotls are a cold water animal, and chillers appear to be quite an investment.
My set up is well away from windows or direct sunlight, but is in a living area with an ambient temp in low/mid 70s...
Not sure what size chiller I would need, for 65 gal, I would think I need 10 deg drop from ambient. I sent out a couple of requests to aquarium chiller sellers, so we will see.
I will look on YouTube as you advised, hopefully I can make one...

Hey, no problems ? My little guy was a pretty impulsive buy (breeders are hard to find here) , so I've done a crash course of extensive studying ? Upside, you are learning it all now and in winter!

Yeah, low to mid 70s could still be a huge issue, though perhaps a serious tank fan could work if you can keep it that low.

Here is the link for the chiller how to I mentioned :)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n5s8Cu59-NM

I found a chiller on Wish for like $90...though I expect you get what you paid for with that ?

In the past chillers were very expensive. Also if cooler that air in the room will condense moisture to drip from tank surface. The two other work around use the basement if it is cool temperature wise. Or a small room with a window AC unit to keep that one room cool enough. If you want you can keep several tanks. I have axies and newts

Filtration is easily covered with sponge filters and plants.

Remember floor space is more important that volume of water.

Thanks Viking
I'm cycling my tanks at the moment ready for the new occupants...
Can anyone recommend a breeder where I can get good specimens?
Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back