Duckweed?

C

caitlyn

Is duckweed safe to use with axolotls? Also, where do you get it? I've never seen it in pet shops.
Thanks
happy.gif

Yes it is ok for axies,I have just recently added some to my tank.I have seen it on trademe for sale in half cupfuls quite cheap.Hope that helps
frog.gif

be warned though, once its in it'll spread like mad and will be hard to get out. i read about a dude who had duckweed, took him 2 YEARS to get it out so it would stop taking over the tank, he just kept missing a tiny leaf and away it went!

how fast does it grow? i just want a covering of say, half of my tank.

If you have a light directly over your tank, it will go from covering half the tank to covering 100% of the tank in a few days. If you thin it back to just a few leaves, it'll be back to 100% in a month or so. It's a great way to keep nitrates down, but it can be a pain after a while.

If you can find a source for giant duckweed, it grows at a more managable slower pace, but I don't know where you'd find it.

(Message edited by jennewt on January 25, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back