Tiny white worms all over tank

thistly

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Fiona
Hi all, first post :)
Have my first axolotl all set up for a little over a month now, had some ups and downs already (little guy or girl swallowed and luckily puked up some gravel the pet store owner assured me wouldn't be dangerous... grrrr) but seems pretty healthy and has a good appetite :)

Just noticed when I tured on the aquarium light (normally stays off) thousands of very very small fine wormy critters all over the inside walls and floor, about a millimeter long and as wide as a hair. Thought they might be some kinda fibrous stuff lining the tank but lo and behold, they wriggle purposefully around the place, 20 or so on every square inch of surface, seems absolutely infested in there.
I can't see any on the axolotl, but they're transparent or white and he/she's leucistic so difficult to tell...
Couldn't get a good photo sorry, anyone know based on my poor description what these little buggers might be and how to get rid of them? :confused:

What a relief, thankyou both!
Was dreading having to empty tank and start cycling over if they were parasites or otherwise nasty.
Axie eats all that he's fed (apart from cookie monster style crumbs from shaking food around, which get vacuumed up), Water's clear and I thought it was spic and span, but upon closer inspection it wasn't nearly as clean as I thought - Didn't realize so much poop and gunk was hidden in there! I clean the bare floor, plants and small river rocks routinely, which works out a 10% water change every 2 days, but hadn't checked under the large flat rocks or fake log which were filthy! I guess this is why my ammonia was reading worrying higher lately. Gave everything a thorough vacuum (left the worms on the walls alone, hehe) and changed water about 20%, hopefully with the filth gone the worm population goes down now.
I've put a big ramshorn snail dubbed Curly in there to help keep it tidy, too - It's fun to watch the Axie hunting the snail very seriously, but his persistent but relatively tiny mouth "whoosh" doing nothing to bother the big ol' granddaddy snail at all, hehe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back