Tadpole identification?

Manion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kyle G.
I got this guy about a month ago. Hasn't grown any legs, but he definitely has an appetite.

1281118170.jpg

1281118191.jpg

1281118208.jpg

Looks an awful lot like a Bullfrog tadpole to me.

I would guess bullfrog too. But it may be a green frog, I have trouble telling the difference without a size comparison.
As a funny side note, I just popped over here from spending the past hour on the frog forum, and the first post I read here is a frog post.:p

Looks an awful lot like a Bullfrog tadpole to me.

1281131994.jpg

He's a bit too small for a bullfrog. I thought that at first, but he has remained the same size since I got him.

I am confused ( it happens regularly). Which one is it you want identifying? The latest picture seems to show some bigger darker tadpole with a smaller spottier one under it.:confused:

I showed the bigger one(A bullfrog tadpole) in comparison to the size of the smaller one. I'm trying to identify the smaller, speckled one.

From the shots so far I am leaning towards green frog. Do you have shots of the face and belly?

Here's a belly shot. Not the best quality in this picture, but you can see the details. I'll have to get a face shot later.

1281153290.jpg

the smaller tadpoles are leopard frog. big green is a bullfrog.yes even bullfrog tadpoles are just like those until i saw the side. yes the small one are leopard frog

Definitely a green. The somewhat compressed body, small fuzzy-edged dark spots, and opaque belly are all important ID characters. Leopards will be more globular and have a translucent belly.

Thanks for the size comparison, I definately have to say green frog now.

take pictures when the tads turn into frogs see what they are.

Definitely a green. The somewhat compressed body, small fuzzy-edged dark spots, and opaque belly are all important ID characters. Leopards will be more globular and have a translucent belly.

Thanks for the help.

take pictures when the tads turn into frogs see what they are.

I was wanting to know what it was before it was a frog. Thanks for the effort, but it wasn't the proper information I needed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back