Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tadpole identification?

Manion

Reaction score
I got this guy about a month ago. Hasn't grown any legs, but he definitely has an appetite.

1281118170.jpg

1281118191.jpg

1281118208.jpg

deliriah

Reaction score
I would guess bullfrog too. But it may be a green frog, I have trouble telling the difference without a size comparison.
As a funny side note, I just popped over here from spending the past hour on the frog forum, and the first post I read here is a frog post.:p

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I am confused ( it happens regularly). Which one is it you want identifying? The latest picture seems to show some bigger darker tadpole with a smaller spottier one under it.:confused:

Manion

Reaction score
I showed the bigger one(A bullfrog tadpole) in comparison to the size of the smaller one. I'm trying to identify the smaller, speckled one.

Nathan

Reaction score
From the shots so far I am leaning towards green frog. Do you have shots of the face and belly?

Manion

Reaction score
Here's a belly shot. Not the best quality in this picture, but you can see the details. I'll have to get a face shot later.

1281153290.jpg

heavybows

Reaction score
the smaller tadpoles are leopard frog. big green is a bullfrog.yes even bullfrog tadpoles are just like those until i saw the side. yes the small one are leopard frog

Nathan

Reaction score
Definitely a green. The somewhat compressed body, small fuzzy-edged dark spots, and opaque belly are all important ID characters. Leopards will be more globular and have a translucent belly.

Manion

Reaction score
Definitely a green. The somewhat compressed body, small fuzzy-edged dark spots, and opaque belly are all important ID characters. Leopards will be more globular and have a translucent belly.

Thanks for the help.

take pictures when the tads turn into frogs see what they are.

I was wanting to know what it was before it was a frog. Thanks for the effort, but it wasn't the proper information I needed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1