Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Messing with nature.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
This is going to be my last post on this subject. It certainly has stirred up a lot of discussion and left a few people with new thoughts I'm sure.
I would like to say that I have learnt a fair amount about some of the members on caudata and I also appreciate and realise that they have their own views whether I think them good or bad.
Times going to tell on this issue.
None of us can predict our outcome.
Even I have learnt new things good and bad about GM and until I know otherwise my thoughts will remain the same.
I would like to thank Frances for bringing up the subject in the first place. I'm sure she got back much more then she initially bargained for.

digger

Reaction score
Thank you Becky, i certainly have been enlightened on a few things also.
As say good or bad, right or wrong,
its good to talk.

Saspotato

Reaction score
Actually I think technology is great for the youth of today. Any information they want is so easy to obtain. Because I have the internet I have been able to research topics I would never have been able to do otherwise :) It must have been hard living in a time before the net, having to go to libraries and the like and do manual searches. Also I have made friends all over the world via the Net, that I have actually gone and stayed with when I have travelled - again technology has enabled this. But fair enough, some people don't like that and prefer the outdoors, whatever floats your boat! I don't think it is good to criticise others' likes. I hate being outside unless it is under the ocean diving :) One of my favourite hobbies is playing computer games! To each their own digger...

Also, you stated that a lot of crime including murder and drug crimes are on the increase in your country and many others. Well I looked up the UK crime rates, with data from 2006/2007 and you will be interested to know that crime is down in most categories. Where are you getting your stats from? Check out this http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/crime-victims/crime-statistics/ it might reduce your fears a bit about crime. To summarise, in the year 2006/2007:
  • the risk of being a victim of crime is 24% - significantly lower than the 40% recorded in 1995
  • crime has fallen by 42% since 1995, meaning that 8.4 million fewer crimes took place during that time than would have had rates never fallen
  • domestic burglary and all vehicle thefts have fallen by huge percentages (59% and 61% respectively) since 1995
  • crime is down in most categories
You are completely right when you say the news media only reports depressing stuff, it does and that is why people like you think there is increasing crime and the world is going down the drain. If you actually look at the data, it shows a very different picture.

I agree, it has been good to talk about this kind off stuff. :)

Edit: Oh I found a PDF file with a more detailed summary of crime in the UK in 2006/2007. It even goes into why people perceive crime to be a problem in their area. http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs07/crime0607summ.pdf

digger

Reaction score
Sarah,
i dont know why you persist in attacking me, people like me? you know nothing about me.
All you know is what you READ about me and therefore THINK you know me.
I learnt a long time ago to take the written word with a pinch of salt.
People, especially politicians and big companies.
Those in power maintain crime is down, unemployment is down, the standard of education has increased, their statistics will be all over the papers.
Opposing parties will the next day print their own statistics, numbers discovered by their own people,they never agree.

I live in this country, its not what i perceive it to be, it is what it is.
You really need to take a step outside and look at the world yourself instead of reading what others think, and there statistics.
Just because it is in black and white doesnt make it right.

Saspotato

Reaction score
I have not attacked you digger (care to quote me when I have?), I have disagreed with your opinion and posted citations for the things I have disagreed with. As you don't like that, I will no longer be posting in this thread.

I wish we could have continued this without people getting upset that others disagree with their point of view. :(

digger

Reaction score
I am sorry you feel i am critisizing you for disagreeing with my opinions this is not the case at all, i relish the debate, after all that is why i posted the thread in the first place.
I have sent a PM to explain why i said what i said.

digger

Reaction score
I personally,
beleive it or not love life.
I have been accused many many many times of only seeing the good in things and people.
I started this thread with a mind to see how other people see the world.
I have deliberately injected aspects into the thread to try and garner different responses.
I still stand in two minds about genetic modification, but,
i would like to thank everyone who has taken part in this discussion for their input.
I know now there are lots of people on this site who also like to only see the good and are willing to keep a tight hold on it.
So, the next time i get accused of wearing blinkers or my Rose coloured glasses i will point them to this thread and say,
"see, i am not the only person in the world who prefers to look for the good instead of the bad."
Thank you all again.

Happy posting.

Frances

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1