Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tennessee field guide

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm taking a trip to Tennessee (Great Smoky Mountain NP, specifically), and am looking for a good field guide. I've got the Conant & Collins - Peterson series guide, but was wondering if anyone else had a recommendation.

lilsoul

Reaction score
I use the National Audubon Society fild guide to reptiles and amphibians it is a realy good fild guide

warrior

Reaction score
The amphibians of the great smoky mountains by C.Kenneth Dodd Jr. is very useful.Ive been to the smokies a few times and its a nice park.

freves

Reaction score
Reptiles and Amphibians of the Smokies by Tilley and Huheey. It is a small paperback available at several of the nature stores in Gatlinburg (although I imagine that you could order it online). I am driving down there myself in the morning. Looking forward to some hiking.
Chip

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Chip, I picked that one up too. I got an older copy (old library version). I'm disappointed with the lack of color (short American attention span, I guess).

Eddie, I'll look into the Dodd one. That name has come up before.

freves

Reaction score
<<< I'm disappointed with the lack of color (short American attention span, I guess).>>>

Do you mean lack of color photographs or something else? Sorry but I am just getting back to work after having a week off and my brain is still on vacation. My copy has nothing but color photos. I think that it is a nice little book. My only complaint is that instead of range maps it just list fairly general descriptions such as "being found in the southern portion of the park". We had wonderful weather. The temperature was close to 70 f for several days. Despite this however I was unable to locate a single salamander in the limited amount of time that I spent in the forest. I did not bring any field equipment (this was a much delayed honeymoon) however I was wanting to wade out in the creeks and look for hellbenders so bad that I could taste it. Maybe next time.
Chip

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Chip, sorry about getting back to this so late! I picked up an old Huheey book (read, from the original surveys in the 60's). It does have specific range maps within the park.

I didn't get a chance at any 'bendering either, as it was either flooding or too cold. But maybe this summer...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!