Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Book Review: Salamander Rock (Children's) (Mitter)

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Salamander Rock: A Pop-Up Counting Adventure (Young Children's Book)
written by Matt Mitter, illustrated by Karen Viola (Pleasantville, NY: Reader's Digest Children's Books, 2008) 12 popping pages.

This is a simple counting book starring salamanders. The gimmick is foam pop-up animals that make the animals unnaturally long in either body or tail. All the animals are on their way to a party and the reader counts them as they go.

Yeah, it's some party! At one point the book asks, "How many mushrooms have purple spots?" That should give you an idea what kind of party it is. I don't know how the authors of this book could count when they were obviously on psychadelics.
Jokes aside, it's a nice counting book. If my nephews ever get over their fear of lizards and come to my house again, I'd read it with them.

===============================================
You may be asking, what is this childless woman doing with children's books? To clear up this mystery, let me state that I find children's books charming even though I don't find children themselves very charming. I usually keep them for a while and then give them to people I know with kids.

Attachments

• SalRockCover.jpg
    SalRockCover.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 1,243
  • SalRockEndsm.jpg
    SalRockEndsm.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 944

Abrahm

Reaction score
Re: Book Review: Salamander Rock (Children's)

Those, poor, poor dancing crickets... They don't even know what's going to happen next!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!