Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Larval Fire Salamandra feeding

Will B

Reaction score
Hi, I'm already familiarized with the grown up feeding options, but have some doubts about the larval stage: the litle fellows are eating basically mosquito larva (live ones) and some water snails (live and very small). Since they are in the aquatic stage, I think I shouldn't throw any land creatures (earthworms, crickets and so on) into the water, not to polute the water!? Is this right?
Will they get the necessary nutrients?
They have grown quite a bit, one is already changing colours, they seem to be very relaxed...and they all activelly hunt the mosquito larva which they embush, so it seems to be going as it should, but wouldn't like to take chances.
Any supplements or alternatives advisable?

thanks
W

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mosquito larvae are a good food. Other options include live daphnia and tubifex or blackworms. If they are over ~5 cm in size, you can use finely-chopped earthworms. You will need to clean out leftovers to avoid messing up the water, but worms will make them grow very well.

Will B

Reaction score
Hi Jen,
Thanks fort the info. They are in fact about 4cm long, one however is slightly bigger and may be starting to morph as the colours are changing.
have a nice day
W

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!