What other herps/fish have you kept?

in addition to caudates, I have also kept...

• frogs / toads

Votes: 129 65.5%
  • caecilians

Votes: 13 6.6%
  • lizards / geckos / iguanas

Votes: 103 52.3%
  • turtles / tortoises

Votes: 89 45.2%
  • snakes

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • freshwater fish

Votes: 158 80.2%
  • saltwater fish

Votes: 31 15.7%
  • saltwater invertebrates (corals, anemones etc)

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • planted aquariums (plants as emphasis)

Votes: 67 34.0%
  • invertebrates (fiddler crabs, tarantulas etc)

Votes: 90 45.7%

• Total voters
I used to breed freshwater angels. I only have a few now. I've had so many of them, including wild types. (Some of which were ridiculously huge.) I've had a million other random freshwater fish, and had a brief time with flounder. (Oh the flounder. Never again.) Right now I'm collecting tetras, very very slowly.

Also marimo, puppies, and an african dwarf frog that killed her boyfriend. ;__;

Only one salamander for me.

I'd like to have a chameleon.

WOW I have had just about everything on the list and then some. I have loved animals all my life. I have about two thousand gals of water around my house. With stingrays lungfish and a host of other critters. Every room but the bathroom has my babies in them. And my axolotls have their on 125gai tank to lazy around in, I have twelve.

I always helped my dad take care of his fish collection. He was a discus breeder. One time he brought home an African Clawed Frog and I was amazed. Eventually, that frog along with a few new ones moved into a tank of my own. Then it started with the tadpoles. I raised some bufo americanus from tadpoles and was hooked on amphibians.

The first time I ever even saw a newt in the pet store I was like 13 and had to have it.

i have large tanks of tropical fish with meny types of fish and invert. i also have plants. i have too meny types to name.

Myself, I grew up in the swamps of Alabama. I too caught anything that wasn't fast enough to get away, to no avail do to my mother releasing them while I was in school. As a kid we often went to the pet shop to browse thru the amphibians and reptiles before going to the fish section where mother bought feeders for our 10 inch Oscar. I always had a thing for the "water dogs" (ambystoma tigrinum larvae) that I was never allowed to bring home.
Now that I am an adult, I have 2 tiger salamanders (one metamorphosed, one larvae), a Beta, 3 white clouds, 3 neon tetras, 2 octocinclusis, 2 nerite snails and a earthworm farm. My poor bedroom houses 2 10 gallon aquariums, a 20 gallon long aquarium, and a 55 gallon aquarium (soon to be the terrestrial habitat for my tiger sals). My bedroom is the most peaceful place on earth to me!
Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Like a large majority of people i grew up with various numbers of weird pets in the household. My mum is still talking about her sons frogs mating in the lounge during a dinner party,:D and that was 20 years ago australian golden bell frogs. Various native skinks from the garden breed and release even when i was around seven. I then moved on to various native geckos, also breeding and releasing, as well as trapping and baiting for imported pests so they would stand a chance. My flatmates thought i was excentric.
Now i have land lots of land and my wife thinks i am eccentric instead:wacko:. We have tropical fish, fire bellies (they were for sale on trademe, new zealands ebay, as eggs and i had not realised you could get anything other than axolotl over here and was curious) 5 ,,axolotl, a cat (not a very environmental decision in new zealand but he was just sitting by the side of a country road as a tiny wee thing), 12 rare breed sheep, 2 horses, 2 guinea fowl, 8 chickens, and some semi tame eels we feed down at our stream.

My interest started with reptiles 12years ago when I bought my first leopard gecko, a wild coloured juvenile that i had for 9years. During these years I keept most monitors (main interest) geckos, agamas, tortoises and some other species like cordylus etc. Finally I bought some cb T.marmoratus in the beginning of 2008, and have sinze then been stuck. Although I actually had some species a short while during 2006, which I finally decided to sell after some reading about their housing demands

Still my monitor friends never stoped worried :p. Every zoo visit I stopped in front of newts tank were I could stay for a while.
However, I have now been reptile free sinze last summer and feel that my reptiles interest is over for good. And if i today got a trade offer, my tigers against 1.1 cb Varanus griseus( dream monitor, had one 2007) I would say directly no! Crazy turn i must say:)

Caudatas give me more joy then any reptile I ever have had, they are fantastic animals..

Last edited:
I've had multiple dogs, 2 hamsters,8 bettas, guppies, platies, african dwarf frogs, snails, dwarf gourami, honey gourami, and I had a baby squirrel for a few weeks while me and my friends nursed it back to health. :)

I love everyone's story!

When i was born my parents had two labs, as i got older i found frogs and what not out side but they stayed there... i also had a 10 gallon tank when i was little. but in January i got a little betta fish with my girlfriend, then we got a 10 gallon tank and filled it with fish, and then i found out what an axoltol was and just got one in the begging of may.

I hope to expand soon!!!

Started keeping fish back around the first grade. I got into saltwater both fish and reef tanks in the early 90s by the early 2000s.

Species of fish I have enjoyed the most are: Cyathopharynx furcifer (ruziba), I had a breeding colony of these for a about 8 years. I ended up selling them when I relocated to Idaho. Cyprichromis sp. "Leptosoma Jumbo" (Kitumba), I also had a breeding colony of these that I kept in the same tank as the furcifers. I kept the pH at 9.2 with the water hardness at 13 kH. Due to how the furcifers spawn, I utilized sand for the substrate.

The males would build a huge sand nest and "show off to try to get a female to swim down and spawn. They are mouth brooders so the female would lay the eggs then scoop them up with her mouth. I wish that I knew how to take better photos back then. The only ones I still have were from an old P&S kodak, I'll have to see if I can find them and I will post them.

I have betta fish and other tropical fish in the past but right now i have none. i also have 2 leopard geckos now : )

I have a Mali uromastyx and a nano salt water tank with a few fish.

Sent from my E270BSA using Tapatalk

When I was little I was always running around after bugs and butterflies and spiders. I got along with cats and dogs and the fluffy kind of animals fine, but reptiles and amphibians were my favourite. I was fearless with snakes and whatnot- unlike my entire family which is a bit more fussy and generally displeased with the existence of most scaled 'creepy crawly' animals- thus explaining why I sit here and drool over all of your zoos instead of getting my own.

When I was in kindergarten and the fam used to live south, we had wild geckos in the sunroom and a turtle named Kobe in the backyard. Four baby turtles also lived in our living room for a bit, but I don't think they made it long... We also had an impressive fish tank. I had three hamsters over the course of my elementary school- Percy, Buddy and Teddy. I really wanted frogs and once campaigned for aquatic turtles. Snakes were always on the top of my list but it was completely out of question as long as I was under my mother's roof.

Last year a puppy named Argo moved in with us- I love him lots. I went to a museum and had a real bond with their Chilean rose tarantula recently :p I'd really like getting one of those as a pet one day, but would have to move out first.

And here I am now celebrating one week with Isaac the newt :D It's a huge victory that I'm allowed to keep him at all, much more that he was purchased FOR me... I guess that my folks thought that I could keep him to myself and that compared to some other pet names I'd been throwing around (axolotl, cornsnake, tarantula...) he was pretty tame and innocent looking. Whatever the reason, I'm glad he's around.

I started out with two African dwarf frogs. I was with my mother at target when I was like 4, and they had them in cups. I pleaded for them and the lady said they would live about 3 years. I said OK. They lived 7 years. ^_^

I had hamsters, a bunny, cats, dogs, a flying squirrel..
And when I turned 16 I BEGGED my parents to let me buy an axolotl. I had a PowerPoint set up on why they should let me. I got a ten gallon and a baby axolotl. I quickly decided the ten gallon was too.small and got a 20gal. The ten gallon housed mollies for a while until I bought a fish from Petco and it had a disease and wiped them out. So I started my planted tank phase, and dirted the tank, with serpae tetras. Then I got a 5 gal fluvial chi. For a betta.
Then I got a 5 gallon tank from a garage sale. Pea Puffer tank.
Then I got a 40 breeder for my axolotl. Then with the old 20 I turned it into a lake Tanganyika cichlid tank.

How on earth did you get a flying squirrel? I have wanted to find one ( in the wild ) for years, but have only found a dead one my cat killed....it was cool :p I bet that was a really fun pet!
But I would rather have a opossum myself....( and don't say that you have had a opossum too, cause I know you have you lucky person ;) ).....

How on earth did you get a flying squirrel? I have wanted to find one ( in the wild ) for years, but have only found a dead one my cat killed....it was cool :p I bet that was a really fun pet!
But I would rather have a opossum myself....( and don't say that you have had a opossum too, cause I know you have you lucky person ;) ).....
Flew into our neighbors chimney. Was a fun pet, but it was actually really mean. You couldn't hold it. It was a wild animal after all. But he was injured and couldn't go back to the wild so we gave it to our friend who took care of him. Whenever we had flying squirrels at the wildlife rehab they would always be the biters. Never sweet.

Squishy the opposum, however...

qaqu5uve.jpg

:)

Ohh surrrre, rub it in ;)

I would actually rather have just about any other wildlife before a opossum, but they are the one of the only ones that are legal to obtain :/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back