Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Tank

Kauveh

Reaction score
Yesterday I got a huge tank from a friend! I don't know the size but it is bigger than any I have ever had. :D I am not sure what to put in it but I know it will be half land half water.

The bad news is my ensatina passed away but don't worry it was because she got very old. :(

What is legal and illegal in BC? I might get any ambystoma but I heard that they were illegal. :confused:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
All newts and salamanders are poisonous to a greater or lesser degree. They produce toxins in the skin as a defence against predators.
If you do decide to get some newts, I would not recommend Paddletails. For a start, all Paddletais are wild caught so come with the usual risks of disease and stress. Also, they are very territorial and aggressive, so can only really be kept in pairs and even then they have been known to turn on each other for no apparent reason.
I would recommend either Ribbed newts (Pleurodeles) or Crocodile newts (Tylototriton verrucosus). Both are large, usually captive bred species that are fun to watch and don't mind being kept in groups to make the most of a large tank.

Teeglor

Reaction score
You won't be able to captivate any wild ambystoma in British Columbia, as their wildlife protection laws prohibit it. And you won't be able to find a lot of native species in BC captive bred, because they are difficult to breed in captivity - especially tigers. Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum (blotched tiger salamander) is an endangered species in B.C. also, I don't think they will let you keep any of those at all.

However, I don't know about the import laws for B.C., so you may be able to get a mole salamander of some kind sent to you from a breeder--- maybe even a different species of tiger. You'd have to look into your local laws. It's a lot more lax here in Saskatchewan.

I have heard that paddle tails, ribbed newts and fire bellies are all good starter newts. I also know fire bellies are often wild caught from pet shops though, so that is something to be weary about. And Chinadog there wrote some information about paddle tails I was previously unaware of until now (lol).

I attached a list of native salamander species in B.C. for you. You can look up the names and find out some more information about each.

Attachments

• e7cbe29535087d49fe1309e772e84c56.png
    e7cbe29535087d49fe1309e772e84c56.png
    164.1 KB · Views: 235
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1