Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frozen Bloodworms

natalief

Reaction score
I'm new to all the axolotl care required to have a safe and healthy little guy. I'm in the works of getting my axolotl, and have frozen cubes of bloodworms in my freezer. Going through various forums, I'm a bit lost and confused on what I should do to prepare them. I want to know if I can thaw all of the cubes in water and leave the worms in cold water in the fridge and then get them out as needed. People are talking about cutting up the cubes and smashing them and wrapping them in news paper and I feel like maybe I'm missing some information or something. :angry::confused::nono:
Would it be safe to keep blood worms this way? If not, what is the easiest way possible to have healthy bloodworms and thus ensure a healthy axolotl?

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Im pretty sure they would just go bd and foul the water if left in water in the fridge. When I fed bloodworms I just got some tank water in a paper cup, put the cube in, swirled the cube around with tongs until the bloodworms fell to the bottom, then I picked up the worms with tongs and placed them in the food dish(I didn't want any of that red water in the tank). And this usually only takes around 5 minutes.
Although Frozen Bloodworms shouldn't be the staple food item, where Earthworm/Nightcrawlers should be

natalief

Reaction score
Oh! Thank you for the advice. You've actually given me a lot of information, I think I just needed it as a straight-forward answer versus trying to guess what the question wants and how any given answers correlate. Yay!

auntiejude

Reaction score
You should just defrost what you need on a daily basis - they will degrade pretty quickly once thawed.
Live bloodworms will keep for a good few days in the fridge though.
But once your axie is over about 3" you should switch to earthworms.

OKXSEE

Reaction score
What do you do if you only need to feed a little bit of the blood worms though?? Like if you have only one juvenile axolotl. Can you just feed juveniles red worms?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Bloodworms do not have all the minerals that an axie needs once they are over 3", but you can feed them as a treat once in a while. Worms should be their staple as soon as they are physically big enough to eat them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!