Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Very sick axolotl

Roralon

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I desperately need help on getting my axolotl better!
He's 3years old and has always been happy and healthy.

Few weeks ago I noticed he didn't swim around as much anymore. But I didn't think much of it, since axolotls aren't usually very active. But than he didn't really eat anymore either and I started to panic and got very scared so I went to internet to help me provide with answers, so I learned how to fridge an axolotl and help him recover. So I took the steps in fridging my axolotl. And he has been in the fridge for 2 weeks now. He is very stressed, very weak and does not seem to recover at all. His arms and legs are sometimes under his body and seem like he has no energy.. It really looks like he is dying and I don't know what to do!

Waterlevels in his tank are good, temperature was a little high. He lives on riversand, I recently learned that this is not so good either?

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
What is good water level? And what is little high temperature?

Pictures?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
The fridging could be making him more lethargic too, what temperature is the water when it's in the fridge?
Like DSaxolotl said, attach some pics, your water parameters and temperatures.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1