Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My newts update

Trixam

Reaction score
I ended up seperating the kids two newts today as Gollum has a swollen leg and looks like his toes got bitten. He was hanging out on the floating island today so I figured I better split them.

Gollum is now in a 10g with a filter, fake log hide, a few silk plants, and a floating fake log to climb out of the water on.

Precious is in the 15g still with all the same stuff minus the fake log hide.

Any thoughts on what to do about the swollen leg?

Jodie

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Am I remembering correctly that these are paddletail newts?

Does the leg have any sign of injury other than the swelling? If so, then you could consider doing a few salt baths to try to stave off infection. Beyond that, about the only easily-accessible remedy that has any chance of being effective would be antibiotics, like those sold for fish. Keep it cool and clean, and newts have good healing ability as long as things don't get infected.

Trixam

Reaction score
Yes they are paddletail newts. The leg is swollen and the toes are red. Tank temperature is around 17-18C, is this cool enough or should I try to cool it more with ice bottles or something.

What is the concentration for a salt bath, I found it once but can't seem to now. And would just a standard hospital saline solution of 0.9% work????

FRANCOIS

Reaction score
I have saved some fish with major infections. Like Jen said I would use antibiotics if there is an infection and in the past I used Gram + and Gram - bacteria antibiotics combined... worked like a charm.... good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!