Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sexing American Gree Tree Frogs

Ltdanicecream

Reaction score
I have a spare cage at my house, and would love to add a trio of these to it. Does anyone know how to sex them? Also, what are the temp requirements? Since they're from America, and I live in their range, I assume room temp will be fine? Its about 70 degrees F here, with climbs to 80 and drops to 60. Sorry I dont know the celsius conversions...

I read somewhere that you grab their arms and open their mouth, and if theres a dark buldge they're male? Is this true? If anyone has advice to breeding them or keeping them happy, or pictures of frogs or setups, please share. Thanks a bunch,

Ryan

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
The only way I know to sex them is during the breeding season either listen for them to call or look for a dark throat which indicates males. Other than that I have no clue how to sex them. As for temps, mine are kept at room temperature most of the year. During the winter I cool them to around 40F to encourage breeding the following spring.

monkeyfrogman28

Reaction score
Green Tree Frogs can be pretty vocal at night. So when ever you hear one go look. That should be a male. With most frogs the females are bigger than the males. Also, never grab them and open their mouths. That will stress them out alot. Frogs should never be handled.

xdartfrogx

Reaction score
I have green tree frogs and the males have a yellowish tint to their throat, and their skin is baggier around the throat than the females. Also, the females are larger than the males when sexually mature. The males are extremely vocal here; including the ones I have. They always start singing more than usual a night or two before a rain storm hits, and continue until the pressure goes back to normal. The boys' throat makes a bubble shape when they sing, so if you flip the lights on while they are calling their throats are usually still much inflated. ^_^ They are quite the singers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1