Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axies in some serious need of TLC

Meggersxoxo

Reaction score
Here are the juvie axolotls I picked up a couple of days ago. They were in a tank with a lot of other axies and 90% of them had all of their legs missing. Their current water temp is higher than I would like it to be...it's at 73 degrees. I'm using LED lighting to keep the temp down and I have them in a cool spot in the house.

I'm currently feeding them bloodworms and keeping a close eye on water conditions. They are moderately active (they mostly sit relaxed in one spot but with cruise around the tank from time to time....no chaotic swimming). They have wonderful appetites and seem to be pretty content. They do have live plants and hiding places from natural river rock.

If there is anything else I can do to help with their recovery please let me know. They are still pretty small...only reaching about 4 inches from nose to the end of their tail.

Attachments

• DSC01669.jpg
    DSC01669.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC01668.jpg
    DSC01668.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC01670.jpg
    DSC01670.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC01667.jpg
    DSC01667.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 235
E

Elise

Axolotls cannot live in temperatures above 20C (68F) for prolonged periods of time. You are currently keeping your axolotls outside their tolerable temperature range and illness is much more likely now. If you want your axolotls to survive, you'll have to lower your temperature to 12C-19C (53F-66F) . Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

LED lighting will have no effect on cooling your tank what-so-ever. Having it on for long periods of time will actually induce stress in your axolotls. They are a mole salamander and lack eyelids.

You will also need to implement some hides in your tank so your axolotls can escape ambient light as well as feel secure in their environment.

I've included some essential reading for caring and husbandry. Your axolotls are recovering from injury and are vulnerable to opportunistic infection, so optimum care is required.

Caudata Culture Articles
Axolotl.org - Hosing
Axolotl.org - Requirements
Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics - Axolotls (<i>Ambystoma mexicanum</i>) at Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Portal
If you have any questions feel free to ask on the forum. I really want to see your little guys make it!

Addition: Don't forget to remove uneaten food shortly after your axolotls are finished eating, about 15 minutes. Food left will start to decay and foul the water leading to spikes in toxins, which amphibians are very sensitive to.

Meggersxoxo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Elise.

Everything that I had read said that the danger temps were 75 and over. I know 73 is cutting it close but I thought I was atleast in the safe zone.

I know that LED lighting doesn't COOL the water...it's a light...that impossible. What I meant was that I'm using LED lighting (I did mention that there are live plants and they do require lighting) and LEDs do not produce any heat unlike florescent and incandescent bulbs.

I did mention that they have hiding spots which you don't see in the photos because those are all close up shots. There are also floating plants to help keep direct light down without hindering the growth and care of the plants. I wanted to use the live plants because it is a bare bottom setup and the plants help greatly with keeping the levels of beneficial bacteria up.

My axies are hand fed and there is never extra food sitting in the tank.

Thank you so much for the care articles, I will read through them. I guess my biggest concern is getting the temp lowered.

E

Elise

Very good. You'll have to update us with pictures as they continue to grow and recover.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1