Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Captive bred Aneides aeneus.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
The local media mentioned it in a newspaper article, so I don't think it's a secret any more.
Zoo helping to sustain salamander population - Toledo Blade

For the record, I do not believe that the Northern Slimy Salamander hatched at the zoo was the first time any salamander was bred in a zoo setting ;)

After many years of trying, I was finally successful at breeding Green Salamanders at the zoo. These were produced by a pair of adults that has been at the zoo since 2007.

Around 15 hatchlings survived and are doing well, just started eating springtails and pinheads.

Enjoy,
Tim

Attachments

• hatching A_aeneus.JPG
    hatching A_aeneus.JPG
    376.1 KB · Views: 1,833

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most excellent work, Mr. Herman:happy:

FrogEyes

Reaction score
This is definitely a good start and great news. Are they from a known population, or at least known enough to be sure of what species they are [given the liklihood of greens being a complex of 3-4 species]?

MattM

Reaction score
This is awesome! I was just googling images of green salamanders just for kicks and I get this. I have been bugging my boss to get me some greens, but he doesn't care too much for salamanders.

ntny

Reaction score
Hello Taherman,
May i request your advice and knowledge on keeping these Aneides aeneus?:D
how big enclosure is required, terrestrial, arboreal or semi-aquatic?
are they aggressive to each other?
what is the average temperature required to keep them healthy?
thanks

The local media mentioned it in a newspaper article, so I don't think it's a secret any more.
Zoo helping to sustain salamander population - Toledo Blade

For the record, I do not believe that the Northern Slimy Salamander hatched at the zoo was the first time any salamander was bred in a zoo setting ;)

After many years of trying, I was finally successful at breeding Green Salamanders at the zoo. These were produced by a pair of adults that has been at the zoo since 2007.

Around 15 hatchlings survived and are doing well, just started eating springtails and pinheads.

Enjoy,
Tim

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!