Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl lost appetite and is very lethargic, what should I do?

Animalperson100

Reaction score
Hello lovely axolotl folk.

My wild type, Lightbulb, is having a rough week. He's a female (I called him he before I could tell and it stuck) living in a bare-bottom 10 gallon aquarium and is about 2.5 years old. I usually do 20% water changes weekly and feed him every 2-3 days. I'll admit I've made a couple mistakes leading up to this, but right now I just want my buddy to be happy and healthy again.

Before everything went bad, a little over a week ago (last Saturday) I was doing some yard work for my neighbor and found a wonderful earthworm. The yard I was working in was in a wooded neighborhood with absolutely no pesticides or anything sprayed so, since my worm supply is running low and I wasn't planning on getting new worms until I moved back to school (with my axolotl of course), I seized the opportunity for a more nutritious meal compared to pellets.

The next day (Sunday) I was checking on my dubia roach colony which I've been trying to get rid of. These are my roaches, not from a pet store, and eat mostly vegetable scraps and timothy hay. My praying mantis has been doing great job decreasing the numbers, but there was one adult female left. This is where the biggest mistake probably is. After a quick google search seeing if axolotls can eat dubias, I rinse off the roach and offer it to Lightbulb. Of course, with his massive appetite, the roach was soon gone.

Things started going south the next day (Monday). I didn't think much of it, as I did realize he was overfed and likely just chilling digesting. But he spent the entire day sorta hanging on the bottom of the tank. Late that night, I found the roach again, regurgitated and pretty much whole. I felt bad for making him go through that, but figure that after this, he'd come back to his usual lively self.

Tuesday he still spent the entire day at the bottom. He's normally the type of axolotl who likes to gulp air, float around, and walk around his aquarium now and then. He didn't do any of those things, instead just sat there flicking his gills. As he did regurgitate his last meal and normally eats every other day, I offered a single pellet. He spat it out.

Wednesday still the same behavior. I offer another pellet, and he begrudgingly eats it. Normally he happily gobbles down 3-5, but he only wanted one.

All day Thursday, same behavior. It was so out of character for him I decided something MUST be wrong, so that afternoon I popped him in the fridge.

Friday he pooped (or at least regurgitated what looks like poop), so I cleaned up after him.

Saturday same as Friday, little more poop I cleaned up. He seemed to be walking around his Tupperware in the fridge, which was reassuring. Still no interest in food.

Tomorrow (Monday) I have plans and won't be home until Tuesday afternoon. Hoping that being at a normal temperature and left alone until then will bring his appetite back, I transitioned him back to his tank. He started walking around and even did a little of his usual trips to the top for air, but still refused food. I noticed that there were a bit of fuzzies on his gills, and I gave him a 15 minute salt bath in case it is fungus which I'll repeat tomorrow before I leave and Tuesday when I return. It already looks mostly cleared up, so that's reassuring. He's still mostly just sitting there, though.

For reference, the tank is a fully cycled bare-bottom 10 gallon with a low power filter with a spray bar. The ammonia and nitrite are both 0, and the nitrate is about 40 or so and will likely lower due to more water changes. The temperature fluctuates slightly throughout the day/week, as our AC has been spotty. There is a fan on the tank however, so it stays within the 65-75 range approximately. I leave to go back to school on Friday, so that will involve an 100% water change but I've previously had no problems with the cycle with that since I keep all the decorations and filter.

I know axolotls become lazier as they get older, but this seems too sudden to be just that. I'm really concerned about him not eating, as he's the type that would probably eat daily if I let him. What should I do? Thanks for reading, I know its a long one and probably too much info. I appreciate the help!

Murk

Reaction score
It's quite common for an axolotl to lose appetite for one or two days after a drastic change in environment.
Every time something in his environment goes through a big change, this "timer" goes back to zero, and it can take an extra two days before he wants to eat again.

So, following the calendar, I don't see anything quite extraordinary:
- You gave him a roach sunday. That didn't sit well in his stomach.
- Monday he was trying to either digest/spit out the roach. At the end of the day, he managed. Then, being stressed, he might lose appetite for one or two days.
- Tuesday, no appetite.
- Wednesday, no appetite, but ate something anyway.
- Thursday, moved to the fridge. While the cool temperature helps with stress, the move itself is still a change in environment. They don't normally eat much in fridges anyway. So, we set the "lost appetite" counter back to zero. It can take one or two days again before he recovers his appetite.
- Friday, no appetite.
- Saturday, no appetite. This still makes sense, seeing how he got fridged two days ago.
- Sunday, moved out of the fridge and given a salt bath. That sets the "lost appetite" counter back to zero. It can take one or two days again before he recovers his appetite.

I think, if you give him a few days in peace and quiet, without changing anything about the tank, the appetite will come back. If you can, don't clean the tank or change water for a few days, just let him chill out.
He's had an exciting week, with roaches itching in his belly, being fridged, salt baths, regular moves - he just needs to relax and get some good sleep ;)

(If this is a healthy, fat axolotl, you don't need to worry about him not eating for one or two weeks. He can handle it. Only if he hasn't eaten by the end of this week I'd get worried.)

Animalperson100

Reaction score
That's reassuring! Still very worried about his complete lack of movement... He doesn't even struggle when I move him to a salt bath, when normally he's not too fond at all of anything touching him. But he sorta just lays limp even when taken out of the water briefly. Poor thing. Let's see how he is in a few days.

Animalperson100

Reaction score
Tuesday update: Offered half a worm. Refuses, at one point tried and spat it out. I tested the water and it looks alright, plus he hasn't exactly pooped much since he hasn't eaten, so I will avoid changing his water to let him rest and try again Thursday night.

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
Tuesday update: Offered half a worm. Refuses, at one point tried and spat it out. I tested the water and it looks alright, plus he hasn't exactly pooped much since he hasn't eaten, so I will avoid changing his water to let him rest and try again Thursday night.

Is it possible they are gravid? worth checking any time a female refuses food. I agree that all the changes probably made them crabby so it could just be a "wait it out" situation.

Animalperson100

Reaction score
Seeing how he/she's been solitary since I got her almost 2 years ago, I doubt it has anything to do with that. I just watched him regurgitate the pellet he ate a few days ago, completely undigested with a bit of whitish goop with it. :(

Murk

Reaction score
Hm, that does seem less positive than I expected.

Do you have any daphnia or artemia available (or any other little critter that comes in large quantities)?
The movement and huge quantities sometimes piques their interest, and since they're so small even stressed or injured axolotls can manage to eat them.
(It could also be that it reminds them of the food they used to eat when they were juveniles, but I think axolotls are too dumb for nostalgia.)

Animalperson100

Reaction score
I don't, but if he doesn't recover in the next couple days I might order some. I got some baby earthworms that are only about an inch long that I'll try offering him tomorrow night, hopefully a wiggly bite-sized meal could entice the poor dude... If he's not better by around this Tuesday or so I'm going to find a veterinarian who's familiar with axoltols or amphibians. If anyone knows any in the Rochester NY area, just in case, let me know. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1