Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Options for fish companions

MnGuy

Reaction score
Hey All,

I know cohabitating newts with fish and other animals can be a divisive issue and I've read up on it so I understand the pros and cons. I'm hoping not to revisit those known pros and cons.

I've kept three alpine newts with about a dozen white cloud mountain minnows for about two (three?) years. I'm considering relocating my newts to a larger tank (from a 20 long to a 33 gallon breeder), and I'm wondering about other fish companions.

What fish do you keep with your newts?

Has anyone tried: medaka or daisy ricefish, galaxy rasbora, least killifsh?

Thank you.

Finchop1

Reaction score
Hey MnGuy, I have been keeping Least killifish (Heterandria formosa) with Ribbed newts for 2 years now. I've successfully kept them with Marbled and Smooth newts as well.
When the H formosa was kept with Chinese Fire bellied the formosa did not do well. Probably a problem with naturally occurring poisons in the water.

Small cold water fish can be kept with certain newts - it just requires additional maintenance due to bio-load of the fish and their waste.

minorhero

Reaction score
I have 3 ricefish (medaka - technically king red) with my two alpine newts. Had an issue when the Newts were new and a 4th ricefish was found partially eaten. Since my ricefish are near the end of their life I can't be sure if it was the newts or not. But I have since had the fish with the newts for around 2 months with no further issues.

Thanassi07

Reaction score
Ive kept Medaka Ricefish with Notos successfully, i wouldnt reccomend glaxy rasboras as they can crash easily. For larger newts I'd try colder water killis like Mummichogs, Striped Killifish, etc. If you can locate one of the species that tolerates colder temps than I'd try a banjo catfish as I havent had an issue with them. Maybe some Barabatus or Brochis cories if you spend a bit of money since they are $30 each and coldwater.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!