Any cure or relief for bloat? My rough-skinned newt is dying...

landonewts

Reaction score
Country
United States
My rough-skinned newt Fluffy is also around 30 years old, and he is suffering bloat. I'm pretty sure he's dying, and it's breaking my heart. I have read the forums and searched, and the only things I can find are recipes for a saline bath, and hints on euthanasia. I think he may be suffering kidney failure, at his age that's the most likely culprit - but would love any and all advice.

I realize that at 30 years old we are already in miracle territory, but I wish there was something I could do for my small, much-loved friend. I've not been able to find vets in my city that treat newts, and I am not sure a saline bath will help him at this point.

Fluffy has been with me ever since someone brought him to me in a paper bag after they found him wandering on the bike-path. (I had several newts at the time, so people would bring newts and salamanders to me for care.) He's been with me through so many phases of life, living in Eugene OR, San Francisco, and Portland OR, in 6 different houses and a few different tanks.

I guess I keep hoping for some miracle cure for my miraculous newt, and there may not be one. BUT - I am open to any and all ideas! I just lost my (also almost 30 year old) Firebelly newt Snowball to bloat a few months ago, and it was pretty rough. I am watching the younger newts in my other tank very carefully.

Anyway, not sure what else I can do at this point but prepare for the inevitable. I feel lucky to have had so many years with him. I love him so much! He's a goofy, interactive guy who will come over when I call to him, and I've been able to hand-feed him. It's amazing what a large personality and huge amount of charm can be contained in such a small creature. If he does pass away, I will miss him terribly.

Well looking at your album, it could be caused by three presumable things. First off, diet, what are you feeding them? Night-crawlers are best, if feeding bloodworms, make sure they are not freeze-dried, as they don't have any nutrition. Feeding sheet is here: Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates. Next, the gravel, if you feed without a dish, it could have swallowed gravel and not be able to pass it. Gravel in the system is something you can't fix on your own, a vet would have to do that. And third, mixed species enclosures. It looks like you have a Cynops orientalis, an ill specimen at that. They could be intoxicating each other with their toxins, Taricha granulosa is extremely toxic, and C.orientalis is somewhat toxic as well. Articles on both species here: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly Caudata Culture Species Entry - Taricha granulosa
Also, sorry if I come across harsh, just trying to help these guys

I think once your newts are 30 years old, you get a pass from care advice . . . Kinda like telling that 115-year-old lady to quit smoking. May be good advice, but at a certain point, whatever you're doing is obviously working.

I am sorry your pet of so many years is sick. From what I've read, bloat in an elderly animal is probably not something you can treat with anything but palliative care. Just keep him as comfortable as possible, and if the time comes when he appears to be suffering, you may want to contact a vet about euthanasia if it's too upsetting to consider yourself.

My heart breaks for you. Please take comfort in knowing 30 is awesome. I never knew they could live that long. You gave the best life you could offer considering it started from a paper bag. Be proud of what you did, and continue to do. Hoping for the best!! Please keep us updated .

Yes, 30 years is great! That may be a record for this species, let me find something real quick

WOW. That is amazing I only knew the life span of Tigers so far! Thanks STT. Fluffy was well traveled. Been to more places than most people I know. What a wonderful life!

Well, Fluffy is still with us! Thanks, everyone, for your support and the kind words. 30 years is a good long newt life, and I am grateful to have had the time with him. Hoping we have a bit more ahead, as long as it's good for him

I did find a vet who has treated newts in the past - a vet friend knew a local vet who treats exotics. I took Fluffy in yesterday for an emergency drop-off, and the vet treated him with an injection (!) that is hopefully going to help my poor bloated newt expel the excess fluid in his system. I'm going to pick Fluffy up this morning. If nothing else, at least he will be more comfortable. As pointed out in this thread, it may just be a matter of palliative care at this point. But I do owe him that.

For anyone in the Portland OR metro area, I will share the vet's contact info. below. I wish I'd found them sooner!

Will keep the group posted about the exact treatment, and how Fluffy handles the next few days. Maybe it will help someone else facing a similar health crisis with their newt.

Thanks, everyone!

- Heather (and Fluffy)

"newt vet" -
Dr. Burgess
Southwest Animal Hospital
2425 SW Cedar Hills Blvd
Beaverton OR 97005
503-643-2137

For those following this thread, my Rough Skinned Newt, Fluffy, died last night. We had a good run - 30 years at least, and he was an adult when I got him. He's laid to rest next to his friend of 30 years, Snowball, who passed away earlier this summer.

Thanks to everyone for their well-wishes, ideas and thoughts. My life is emptier now without my sweet little pal, but so much richer for having known him.

RIP to the sweetest little soul I've met.

- Heather

So sorry for your loss. Sounds like he had a good long life and you made his last days as pleasant as possible.

Sorry to hear this :(
You clearly did a great job with him, 30+ years is incredible!

Oh wow, so sorry for your loss of your Fluffy. Thank you for posting the contact info for the newt vet in Beaverton Or. My 12 year old rough skinned newt, Bully is facing the same problem. If you recommend the vet. I may drive to Beaverton to see if he can help Bully.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back