Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Paddle Tailed Newt With Broken Tail

George M

Reaction score
Hi, I have had a paddle tail newt for about two to three months now, and I have never seen it eat. I've been trying to feed it sinking pellets but he shows no interest. I have also tried blood worms once but it did not eat those either. It has always been active, however, I do believe he has been losing weight. Today I found him resting on the bottom of his tank and the end of his tail is broken and hanging off. The strangest part about it is that he is alone in his tank. I do not understand what could have hurt him. What should I do?

RobM

Reaction score
Try live foods! Earthworms, daphnia, brine shrimp (live bloodworms if you tried frozen)...

What do you mean by hanging off? Do you mean it is bent in a weird shape? or that it has a rip and is slightly detached? Do you have a picture?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It´s likely the "broken tail" is the result of an infection that is eating away the tissues. It´s a very common problem with these poor animals that are imported in terrible conditions.
You need to offer live foods ASAP!!! Earthworms are best. If it is indeed a Pachytriton sp. then you can also feed it small fresh-water fish (quarantined first).

Try to upload a picture of the affected area.

George M

Reaction score
Its basically ripped off entirely. I thought it was hanging off by some skin but I might be mistaken. he is shedding now as well. The area of the wound is white. The bloodworms were frozen. when I feed live earthworms do I take him out of the water first?

George M

Reaction score
the newt is only about 3 inches long can it eat an earthworm?

RobM

Reaction score
the newt is only about 3 inches long can it eat an earthworm?
Use small earthworms, or cut big ones.

What is the water quality like? (ph level) and the water temperature? Improper conditions can cause or encourage infections.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
3 inches long? I´m betting you don´t have a paddletail then. You probably have a chinese firebelly, Hypselotriton orientalis. A picture should clarify the species easily.

George M

Reaction score
Does anyone know what could have caused the wound in the first place. He is in the tank alone. Is it possible that he bit himself because he is starving?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hugely unlikely.
The most likely situation is that it is an infection. In that case, as i said, it´s a common problem for these guys. They are captured in their natural habitat in China, and imported in mass in very unsuitable conditions. Those who survive have to then survive the pet-shops which usually provide very negligent care for their caudates. As a result, by the time they arrive to the hobbyists, they are extremely stressed, with their inmune systems severely affected. That leaves them exposed to infections and other problems. The kinds of infection that eat away live tissue are the most common.

Salt treatments should give the newt a fitting chance, but if the problem is already advanced and the newt has been starving for so long, the odds are not good at all, i´m sorry to say.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!