Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chat Event Results and Chat Log

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Good morning!

Last night's initial chat events went pretty well. Quite a bit of caudate related talk was had by those in attendance.

As an experiment, it was a success I feel.

Here is a copy of the Logs from the event(s). (The time stamps are a bit strange as this is pieced together from a few different copies)

I suspect that it may be wise to do a few more species specific events rather than general topics. I feel the axolotl half was better received than the Vivarium half.

Tells us what you think, if you were there. I suspect we can develop this into a regular event with a bit more polish and elbow grease.

Attachments

• C.org Chat Log.txt
    29.3 KB · Views: 347
  • C.org Chat 2.txt
    14 KB · Views: 372

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to the next ones. I should also add that those that didn't attend becuase they thought they wouldn't have anything to add that they should really join in next time. It was quite a learning experience.

Aimee

Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to say thank you, Johnny, for your efforts in planning and hosting such a great event!

I found that bringing together our caudate enthusiast community for the purposes of discussing the caudate issues/topics that interest us to be very stimulating and rewarding. Additionally, it was really great to get to know everyone better via a live chat environment versus the posting atmosphere that we are all so used to.

Though I was unable to attend the second chat event :)(), I thoroughly enjoyed the axie discussion. I do agree that topics should be narrowed down a bit further. Going in, I was unsure that there were enough questions to fill the time. What I found, however, was exactly the opposite!

Nevertheless, I learned a great deal and think this was a very worth while event. I look forward to future chat sessions :wacko:

P.S. I read through the chat session I missed and didn't see any discussion on the question you posed, Johnny. What are the differences between terrariums, vivariums, paluadiums, and aquariums? :D

Cheers

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Aye, Things were moving fairly well, so I left that one out.

But to answer that one:
Technically speaking, an enclosure featuring only plants is a terrarium.
A vivarium is any enclosure with live animals.
An aquarium is an aquatic enclosure for animals.
A palaudrium is a "wet" vivarium usually for bog plants or semi aquatic animals.

Slimy2

Reaction score
I think the event was a great success. I learned quite a bit about axolotls during the first half of the event. The vivarium half of the event was quite informative aswell.

I would like to encourage others to attend these events too. There is much you can learn from them. I will try to make time to be at most of them.

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
During the vivarium chat I learned a new formulation on mixing soils thank you John. Also on the axolotl chat session I got some info on the new ambystoma andersoni I will be getting next week. I'm not one that spends time chatting online but I have to say I enjoyed the event. I agree with species specific topics, but I guess the only downfall would be to those that are not into the species being discussed. Also I'm not sure if there is a protocol when chatting in a live event so you don't chat over or interupt someones chat questions?

Chuck

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
The chat room has a "private message" function that effectively creates a separate, private chat window that allows two folks to converse directly in real time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!