Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Legs Paralyzed/Shaking

Nioa

Reaction score
So I've just discovered that my very young fire salamander seems to be paralyzed in his back legs and his whole body shakes when he tries to walk. It's only been about a month and half since he morphed so he's still tiny yet and I'm worried about his chances of survival. Is there any way to find out what's causing this and how to treat it? I'm also very concerned about my other healthy (so far) fire salamander that lives with him in the same tank. They've been separated now but it would be awful if they both got sick. Does anyone have some advice on what I should do?

Nioa

Reaction score
I feed them worms that I raise in a bucket, so I mean I think that's fine. But, this morning the little guy seems to be behaving normally, his back legs move perfectly fine now. I'm not really sure what to make of this.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
It does sound like nutritional problems or blockage. Try dusting your food with some calcium. Make sure your food is small enough.

Nioa

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply; he's doing just dandy at the moment. Nothing strange has happened since the day he start acting up. It may just have been a shedding issue, but I'm gonna keep him separated for a bit longer to be sure. Thanks for the input!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1