Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stuck with water cycle - any advice?

hoffkell051

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Ive had my axolotl "Fraggle" (golden albino - reminds me of Red Fraggle from the kids show I loved when little!) for about 3 weeks now and I'm still working through cycling his tank (20 gallon long with Aqueon Queitflow carbon filter). Ive been taking very detailed notes with measurements and amounts of water cycled. *Picture attached* I seem to be "stuck" and im looking for advice. Am I on my way to completing the cycle? Should I be doing something different? More or less water or change in frequency?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice!
Kelly - Pittsburgh, PA

Attachments

• 0205191933.jpg
    0205191933.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 234

Hayleyy

Reaction score
You're almost there! Do a 30% water change, wait a day, then test again. See if that helps at all.
Are you using any bottled bacteria, or have live plants in the tank? And what conditioner are you using for the water changes?

hoffkell051

Reaction score
No bottled bacteria. I have about 8 moss balls and plan to add more live plants this weekend - Ive read anacharis is a good choice. I started using API tap water conditioner. I found out I have ammonia in my tap water (.5 - 1.0 ppm) so I read that Prime was better for that purpose and switched about a week ago.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I use prime for the same reason. Prime can throw results so wait at least a day after using it before testing the water. I had a lot of false ammonia readings before knowing this.
The plants will help it along. Are you cycling with the axolotl in the tank? If you are check for any poop or food in case it's creating ammonia.

hoffkell051

Reaction score
Finally got it!! Added some live plants a week ago and I think that was a major help!

Attachments

• 0215191818.jpg
    0215191818.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 141
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!